Mint 9 LXDE netbook questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrOneEyedBoh

Mint 9 LXDE netbook questions

Post by MrOneEyedBoh »

I have a few questions I couldn't turn over myself. Im running the LXDE version of mint 9. So, I was wondering how can I choose a default wireless connection and have it connect to that time and time again? Can I save the WEP key? Are there types of mods,tweaks, kernel swaps I can do for an Acer Aspireone ZG5? Im going to upgrade the memory to 1.5 total gigs, now at 1gb. I see its only using 138mb ( NICE! ) but I thought the more the better... It was cheap too.

Anyway, looking to ways I can speed this version up a bit if possible. Also any programs to DL for system information or useful programs in general.

I will also notice sometimes that I will see the "desktop" icon popup on the screen. It will say Desktop4 or sometimes desktop 3

I also see that my HDD has a few bad sectors, the reallocated sector count is at warning level, current pending sector count is at warning level... any way to fix the HDD?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Mint 9 LXDE netbook questions

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Taking your questions in order;

1. When you are connected to your preferred wireless network, right click on the network manager icon in the panel. Open the Wireless tab and highlight your network (click on it). Click edit and a dialogue window will open. Check "Connect Automatically" and (if you do not want to enter your password every time you boot into Mint) check "Available to all users".

Fill in the required information on the first page, click the 802.1x Security tab and enter your security mode and access code, In the ipv4 tab, for method, select the one you want (Automatic DHCP is easiest), in the ipv6 tab for Method, select Ignore. Click "Apply", enter your password at the prompt, and you are set up.

2. One thing you can do to improve Firefox for netbooks is follow this How-to I put together for Peppermint OS. It works exactly the same on Mint LXDE.

http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1914

You can set up auto login by entering this command in terminal "sudo leafpad /etc/xdg/lxdm/lxdm.conf". Enter your password when asked (no indication in terminal of password entry) and edit the lxdm.conf file in this manner.

Remove the Comment mark (#) from the first two lines and change the name "dgod" in the first line to your username. Savethe changed file and exit.

You can also edit the autostart menu with the command "sudo leafpad /etc/xdg/lxsession/Mint/autostart". Remove anything not required (be careful what you remove. If you are not absolutely sure what a program does, leave it alone and post a question in this forum about it. Again, when done, save the changed file and exit.

That is about all I ever do to speed up LXDE (it's pretty fast out of the box).

3. Can't help here, never saw that.

4. Hard drives are cheap enough today that it would not be cost effective to repair one even if you could. Sounds like yours is about to die. I would advise getting a new one ASAP.

An aside on the subject of memory. Most netbooks have only one slot for ram. If your system came with 1 GB, that slot is filled. There will be nowhere to put an extra 512 MB stick. The best thing to do is buy a 2 GB stick (if available) and replace the original.
MrOneEyedBoh

Re: Mint 9 LXDE netbook questions

Post by MrOneEyedBoh »

Thanks man. I think what it is, is that the netbook has 512 on board and then it has an installed 512 stick. So I bought a 1gb stick for 1.5gb total. Should be good then. And it has a 1.66ghz atom

Return to “Beginner Questions”