[solved]How do I get a different version of Wine?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robert.thompson

[solved]How do I get a different version of Wine?

Post by robert.thompson »

Hello:

For the past 3 weeks, on and off, I have been trying to get my Google Sketchup app to work in LMDE.

I have done the obligatory regedit 0 to 1 but still no go.

I have reviewed some posts on getting Sketchup running and noted that many people are not running Wine 1.0.1, which is what I get through Synaptic.

Could this be the problem?

If so, how do I go about getting a different version of Wine?

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: How do I get a different version of Wine?

Post by vrkalak »

Have you checkout the main Wine website? The Wine Forums? Wiki pages?

Main Wine site > http://www.winehq.org/
Wine Forum > http://forum.winehq.org/
Wine Wiki pages > http://wiki.winehq.org/

Ask your questions about working with Wine ... and getting your particular Windows program up and running.
In this regard, I have always found the "Wiki pages" to be extremely helpful, as well as, the Help Forum.

The WineHQ website has resources where you can download another version of the Wine application.

However, this will probably come as a .tar.bz file and not a .deb ? Do you know how to compile a program from source?
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

Also the software manager already has the current stable version 1.2.2
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

He's on LMDE. Them poor guys are still on puny 1.0.1
Debian Unstable version is 1.1.24-2
I don't know how unstable the unstable is though.
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

Ah you're right Dagon didn't even see that. Robert what made you pick LMDE? For the Rolling updates? If you are a newbie (Like me) I think Linux Mint says it best:
Cons of LMDE:

# Compared to a frozen version of Linux Mint which changes very little once it's publicly released, it's not as stable. Things are likely to break more often but fixes can also come quicker. For this reason, LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
# Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.
robert.thompson

Post by robert.thompson »

Hello:

Blew out Linux Mint Debian and installed Mint 10 - SketchUp works perfectly.

Thanks,

Return to “Beginner Questions”