Win 7 Starter & Linux Mint 10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oldhip

Win 7 Starter & Linux Mint 10

Post by Oldhip »

Newbie Questions: My EeePc has win 7 starter. I have Ubuntu iso installed on a flash pendrive. When i try to install Ubuntu i dont get the choice to "Load Alongside Windows OS. Do i need to use an external cd rom to get this option. Thanks Everyone.
Oldhip
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Win 7 Starter & Linux Mint 10

Post by Silent Warrior »

When you choose what partition to install Ubuntu on in the installer, what do you see? Is there a free partition for Ubuntu; have you made one with the installer, or otherwise had it prepared already?
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Win 7 Starter & Linux Mint 10

Post by mastablasta »

There are two options:
1. If you have Ubuntu 10.10 there is a bug and also installer changed from 10.04LTS. If you are not experienced i would suggets to try 10.04, prepare the disk first by making an unformated partition, then just install to largest free space.

2. your computer had windows preinstalled and they created 4 primary parittions, so no more primary parititons can be created. you will then need to remove one (back up files first, create recovery DVDs...) and then during install or using gparted and live USB session create primary partition for Ubuntu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”