Various questions about LMDE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
uoou

Various questions about LMDE

Post by uoou »

Hello.

Questions in descending order of dumbness:

1. I've installed 64bit LMDE on my desktop and 32bit on my netbook. There seem to be many little differences between the two - different stuff installed by default and so on. Also in the 32 bit version in package manager I found a 'gnome-gmail' package which was very handy. I looked for this in synaptic on my desktop machine and couldn't find it (both installations have default repos selected), had to find a download online. Is this simply that the 32 and 64bit versions are ... different versions or is something odd happening?

(I should add that I ask because my understanding was that two versions of LMDE which are fully up to date would be (aside from anything else manually added in/removed and hardware dependent stuff, obviously) identical due to the rolling release nature of the thing. Is this not the case between 32/64bit? or is it something else?)

2. Is there a thing I can install which will give me something which functions sort of the way the Windows 7 system tray does. i.e. All the little systray icons are collected into something which is hiden and revealed with a click? I realise it's an extra click but I like the tidiness of it. I've had a search and not found anything but it's hard to know what to search for.

Loving LMDE though, I realise the above stuff isn't necessarily important but I'd appreciate any replies.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Various questions about LMDE

Post by tdockery97 »

In answer to your first question, the difference comes from one version being 32bit and the other being 64bit. Applications are written differently for each architecture. Apparently there isn't a 64bit verstion of the gnome-gmail package in the repositories.

As far as the panel behavior to hide icons like Windows, right-click on the panel at the location you want do install it, and select "add to panel". Then from the list select "drawer". This will install a drawer to the panel. When you click on it, it will open showing the contents. You can drag and drop new icons in the drawer while it is open.

I hope this answered your questions, and welcome to the Mint Forums.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
uoou

Post by uoou »

Thanks for the reply and for clearing that up about 64/32bit. Wasn't a big deal but was nagging at me.

As to the other thing - thanks but I was aware of drawer. I'm specifically looking for something which hides system tray icons away (I don't want to get rid of them, I just want to hide them behind a click) (perhaps I should say 'notification area' icons and 'indicator applet'). I'm not holding out much hope for this and it's not really a big deal, would just be nice.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

There is an option to hide the entire panel. Right click on the panel, select <Properties> and enable the <Show Hide Buttons> But I think this may not be quite what you are asking about.
uoou

Post by uoou »

Nope, but thanks for trying :)

I can live with it.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

You want to delete the Window List from the panel and replace it with the Window Selector . . . :mrgreen:
uoou

Post by uoou »

You want to delete the Window List from the panel and replace it with the Window Selector . . .
No no. It's system tray icons I want to hide. Stuff that's minimised to tray like: skype, pidgin, xchat, gmail-thinger. And ideally also stuff like the volume control and networking indicator. I want all that, but I want it all tucked away somewhere rather than encroaching into my lovely clean taskbar space.

Here's how w7 does it, to illustrate:

I'm open to alternative ways of achieving the same thing, but as I say I'm not massively fussed - it would just be nice.

Just to ram it home, I've circled the stuff I'm talking about here.

Return to “Beginner Questions”