(SOLVED)chromium-browser will not install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Baldlygo
Level 3
Level 3

(SOLVED)chromium-browser will not install

Post by Baldlygo »

Firstly I must say how impressed I am with Mint 10 on my eeepc 901. Everything worked fine from my 8G Scandisk pendrive. I cannot install on the eeepc due to lack of space so will only work from/on the pendrive.

I do need to make some additions and this is where I am stuck having spent a few hours reading around without success. I would like chromium-browser but from the Software Manager it only goes to 5% and then drops the install. At first I thought my setup was to blame but I have now successfully loaded skype and that installed and runs very well. So where might I be going wrong?

Paul
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dell Inspiron R15 - Mint 20.3 - Cinnamon (64-bit)
gn2

Re: chromium-browser will not install

Post by gn2 »

Instead of using Software Manager, try opening a terminal and running:
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Or try it in the Package Manager (after you refresh the list)...
Baldlygo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Baldlygo »

Thank you both for your replies.

The terminal command did not work for me first off so I used Packet Manager and refreshed. There seemed to be quite a list of failures but I just ignored them as per comment from Packet manager. Next I tried Software Manager Chromium install again and this time BINGO :D it installed OK. I synced my bookmarks and am now even more impressed :D :D

Next I will want to get Irfanview working through wine but it will have to be another post.
Thanks again - Paul
Dell Inspiron R15 - Mint 20.3 - Cinnamon (64-bit)
craig10x

Re: (SOLVED)chromium-browser will not install

Post by craig10x »

you're very welcome...I think the "key to it" is that you need to refresh the package manager first and then either by using Package Manager or the Software Center, you can then properly install Chromium...One can refresh the list from package manager but not from the software center which is why i mentioned about doing the "refresh"... :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”