Upgrading from Cassandra

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Upgrading from Cassandra

Postby sundial on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:07 pm

I have a Compaq Presario with the Broadcom chips for WiFi. Under Cassandra, the WiFi is not working. I understand it works "Out of the Box" using the new Beta 4.0 release. How do I install 4.0 on my system without disturbing the Vista partition? Do I need to have a HOME Partition to save my current settings in MINT? If so how do I do this on a duel boot system?
Also, my GRUB boot lists several versions of mint and vista. Is there a way to edit this to a smaller list? Please assume I know almost nothing about Linux and how to move around and use the editor.
sundial
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:59 am

A) Wait a few days for the final Daryna
And - yes you will most likely get the broadcom chip to work under Daryna.
It would be nice if you had a separate home partition so you can keep your personal "belongings"
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
As you are very new, read carefully once or twice before getting into action - and it does not matter if it's a dual boot or not - Gparted is very competent at changing the size of partitions. You should do a backup as there is always a small risk something goes wrong.
The list in Grub can be really long....
It's in a file /boot/grub/menu.lst and you can edit the file.
You have to use sudo for that. (which means you start, say, Gedit from the command line)
Make a copy first (actaully the simplest way is to "mark all" and copy/pate to a file youcreate on your desktop)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Up grade and HOME Partition

Postby sundial on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:59 am

Thank you for responding. When is the Daryna final release due out? I did a download of the current version (Beta)and then ran it from the CD. I used the driver installer for not registered drivers and it loaded FWCUTTER. Then the light on the Wireless switch went on. However it could not find any networks. I should say I was within three feet of my access point.

I hope the final version is better on WiFi.

I will try to create a HOME partition tonight and post the results here. How big should it be and what should I transfer to it? And how will the system know that that is the new HOME directory and put the right things into it?

FYI, my Vista partition is 25gb the compaq restore is 10gb and the remainder is for the Linux partitions, about 40 gbs I think the drive is an 80gb HD.

Thanks again, I just cannot wait to get rid of Vista. Its far more trouble than it is worth but it gives me a way to access the wifi world on this machine.
sundial
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions