Which version for MIXXX, VDJC or running SAM broadcaster

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dj_books

Which version for MIXXX, VDJC or running SAM broadcaster

Post by dj_books »

Hi

I am looking for a distro that can run the newer versions of SAM broadcaster (4.2.2 or better) (through WINE obviously), MIXXX (1.9 or later) or VDJC. Looking at this website there appears to be a few quite different versions - which would be recommended for using the above software? Oh, I would prefer KDE too, if possible.

Alternatively I wondered if there are any other linux DJ apps that allow Shoutcast broadcasting available.

I have been using a debian based distro that was very stable but used old libs and seemingly any software later than 2003 was a nightmare to get working....

Anyway, thanks! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dj_books

Re: Which version for MIXXX, VDJC or running SAM broadcaster

Post by dj_books »

By distro I mean which version of Mint should I get, not just which linux.... sorry for the confusion.

Is Mint able to run any of the software mentioned?
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

Sam broadcaster will not fully run under wine (been there done that) and if it does load, it will crash right away, i have been using idjc since my switch to mint and it is flawless tho it is a bit more hands on. It is native to linux and will run under Gnome xfce, LMDE, or even Killing Desktops Everyday ;)
dj_books

Post by dj_books »

Thanks.

Just to check, when I move over will I be able to keep my Home partition or will I need to backup? It's not super important, just wondering...
dj_books

Post by dj_books »

When I move from MEPIS to Mint can I keep my current Home folder partition?

Return to “Beginner Questions”