(SOLVED) Itunes on Mint 10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wentworth
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) Itunes on Mint 10

Post by Wentworth »

I'm in the process of getting a new notebook and thought it best to install Mint 10 as a standalone. The main reason is that I should be able to get a better spec for my money without having say Windows 7 pre-installed. I'm thinking of keeping my present creaking notebook which has XP for 'Just in Case'.

I use itunes for a language learning podcast as well as several other things for my Ipod. When I did a trawl of the forum I got the impression that I can't use itunes in Mint. Is that right or is there a way of using it with 'Wine' etc?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kvv

Re: Itunes on Mint 10

Post by kvv »

I don't think there is. It's probably got something with linux not supporting DRM. If you really can't do without iTunes specifically, I suggest you to get the one with Windows.
trinux

Post by trinux »

There is no version of itunes for linux, only for windows and mac. If you really need itunes, you need to dual boot.

trinux
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

That's right.

If you just need your IPod/IPhone than you have good changes with the IOS < 4.0. Rhytmbox supports the devices.

There were a IOS-updater for Ubuntu but Apple didn't like it and so they forbid it. Than with IOS 4.0 the support from Rhytmbox failed. There are tutorials (just google for it) to make rhytmbox work with you device - but not really fine like with the older IOS.

I did this solution for myself:

I bought a mini-nas-server. It's like a adapter from USB to Ethernet. I copied my music on it and than configured it in rhytmbox as my music-folder and so I did in ITunes on Windows. So I don't have to sync anything or copy. When I import files to rhytmbox I have them in ITunes, too.
kvv

Post by kvv »

Angtagapagligt wrote:I bought a mini-nas-server. It's like a adapter from USB to Ethernet. I copied my music on it and than configured it in rhytmbox as my music-folder and so I did in ITunes on Windows. So I don't have to sync anything or copy. When I import files to rhytmbox I have them in ITunes, too.
Vortexbox? Seems really cool, especially when you have multiple systems at home. I am planning to do that if I ever get hold of an old tower.
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

kvv wrote:Vortexbox? Seems really cool, especially when you have multiple systems at home. I am planning to do that if I ever get hold of an old tower.
You don't have to buy a Vortexbox. A mini-nas-server is more than enough. Just plug a usb memory (external hdd) at it and connect the other side to the network and you have a small NAS. Really cheap and enough for music. It's configurable through a web-server with a html document.

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-MediaSha ... 589&sr=8-7

Like this for example.

Return to “Beginner Questions”