[solved]Problem with Synaptic Package Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
firesprit

[solved]Problem with Synaptic Package Manager

Post by firesprit »

Hello Everyone,
I use linux mint 7 from a bootable CD.I wanted to play nethack on linux and tried downloading packages like nethack-qt,nethack common...etc.
but synaptic package manager give the following error message:W:Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... k/[i]<name of the package>.deb[/i]404 not found [IP:91.189.88.40.80}.Please help in overcoming this problem.
Thanks a lot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Problem with Synaptic Package Manager

Post by vrkalak »

LinuxMint-7 is no longer supported (as of Oct 2010) and the repros are probably off-line. Hence, the error message.

You need to install a newer version of Mint or the most recent LTS of Mint/Ubuntu > Mint-9 or newer would be best.
pompom

Post by pompom »

Hi,

Welcome to Linux Mint.

You could try to build nethack from sources if your distribution is out of date. If that does not work, there is of course the dreaded word "upgrade." On the other hand, you might as well jump into the pool! The water is balmy.

Cheers,

pompom
Last edited by pompom on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
firesprit

Post by firesprit »

THANKS A LOT MAN !!!!!!so thats why its not been working.I will try to get the newer versions.Thanx again

Return to “Beginner Questions”