[Solved] User account crashed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shehabee

[Solved] User account crashed

Post by shehabee »

My problem is - I cannot access my user account. It has started when last time I checked 'Don't ask password at login' in my user account in 'Users and Groups options'. Now, if I select my user account at login then few error messages are shown and telling me '.nautilus' file in home/desktop could be updated and mint menu could not be loaded and then nothing is happening (no desktop or menu is available so that I can open my home folder). I can login as 'root' but I could not open 'Users and Groups options' through root either. It remains busy if I open it. My main problem is, now I cannot access the files which was in my user account as I protected my user home account of 'shehabee'. Now I just want to copy the files which are in my 'COPY' folder in the home directory of 'shehabee'. if I want to get those files what I have to do? Can I copy that folder somehow using terminal? If anyone has the solution please let me know in details. I'll be grateful.

PS: I've just started to use linuxmint 10 'Julia' and as a newbie do not know anything about the codes of terminal.

My PC configuration:
Celeron 1.7GH
RAM 384MB
HD 80GB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: User account crashed

Post by DrHu »

shehabee wrote:First of all, I'm telling that I've just started to use linuxmint 10 'Julia' and as a newbie do not know anything about the codes of terminal....
Now I just want to copy the files which are in my 'COPY' folder in the home directory of 'shehabee'. if I want to get those files what I have to do? Can I copy that folder somehow using terminal? If anyone...
  • Are you now referring to another post, looks like a reply as a post message (this is the first message here)
  • Second you do or do not know terminal commands
    --a couple of links provided, practice with cd and cp and you should be able to get some result, eg a file gets copied somewhere
  • You might also use pwd to show or display the current location your are located in the filesystem of Linux. Not much different than windows, if you wwere using its terminal (command.com or cmd.exe)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem ... y_Standard

Since you know the user name, simply move to that location via the CD (change Directory) command
In a terminal

Code: Select all

cd /home/userID
--whichever name is the userID you need to..
http://www.pixelbeat.org/cmdline.html
http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml
  • cd directory
    Change directory. Using "cd" without the directory name will take you to your home directory. "cd -" will take you to your previous directory and is a convenient way to toggle between two directories. "cd .." will take you one directory up.

cp source destination
    Copy files. E.g., cp /home/stan/existing_file_name . will copy a file to my current working directory. Use the "-r" option (for recursive) to copy the contents of whole directories, e.g. , cp -r my_existing/dir/ ~ will copy a subdirectory under my current working directory to my home directory.
The second command you would use is cp (Copy) and pick a directory or usb device for example
shehabee

Post by shehabee »

@ DrHu: Many thanks for your reply and 'yeah' that was the first post :)
I really don't know about command line and I can remember last time I wrote command while installing win98se from a bootable CD 11-12 years earlier. I will try to understand the terminal language and thanks for the links again. If it is possible plz give me the whole command line to copy a folder named 'COPY' which is in the home folder of 'shehabee' (i.e /shehabee/COPY or /shehabee/Downloads) to anywhere (USB or desktop) while I only can open terminal through my 'root' account not from the user 'shehabee' account and my 'shehabee' account is private so I cannot open it through: File System > home > shehabee.
There is text file in dir shehabee says,

THIS DIRECTORY HAS BEEN UNMOUNTED TO PROTECT YOUR DATA.
From the graphical desktop, click on:
 "Access Your Private Data"
or
From the command line, run:
 ecryptfs-mount-private
And I've got following:

shehabee-pc # ecryptfs-mount-private
ERROR: Encrypted private directory is not setup properly
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

You could try a simple cut and paste into a terminal from the root login.

chown -hR shehabee  /home/shehabee

chown=change owner

This will restore the home directory back to your ownership, and you should be able to login.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
shehabee

Problem with Nautilus

Post by shehabee »

I've tried but nothing changed. Still getting following error messages before stlled when I'm trying to login as 'shehabee':
Could not update ICEauthority file /home/shehabee/.ICEauthority
There is a problem with the configuration server (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 existed with status 254)
Nautilus could not create the following required folders: /home/shehabee/Desktop, /home/shehabee/.nautilus.
Before running Nautilus, please create these folders or set permission such that Natilus can create them.
How can I permit Nautilus to do that?
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

You can try to delete the .dmrc, .iceauthority, .esd_authority in the home directory, it will recreate them on login? I have done it before on new installs to an old home and it works.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
shehabee

Post by shehabee »

Thanks to all for helping and guiding me.
My user account is working again. :D
All I've done is - install 'Julia' again except formatting the '/home' and gave same username, password, etc as previous installation. For doing that my account restored as previous though the softwares I've install in the previous one (e.g JDownloader, SMPlayer, Dropbox, Truecrypt, NVidia X Server etc.) have not restored. But I'm very happy to get back my desktop with my files.

Return to “Beginner Questions”