[Solved] Where are the .torrent files? [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Packrat1947

[Solved] Where are the .torrent files? [Solved]

Post by Packrat1947 »

I have a need to copy my .torrent files, but can not find them. I've looked in all the home and public folders to no avail. This is Mint 9.

Does Transmission gobble them up, and make them unfindable?

Also, I can not find a file-finder program. Of course it should be recursive. Any ideas here?

Thanks for your time.

Packrat1947

[Solved] Some gracious person gave me a terminal command to locate the errant .torrents. This worked perfectly and I was able to grab what I needed. I reimaged the C: and D: drives back to a month ago. This provided a few hours of effort, but it worked out fine. So luckily, I did not have to rebuild Mint 9/Transmission - as I thought I would have too.

Anyhow, thanks for the great help. I have another tool in the chest. [Solved]
Packrat1947
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Where are the .torrent files?

Post by proxima_centauri »

Maybe located in /tmp

Try saving your .torrent files directly in browser rather than opening up directly.
Jupiter_Spunk

Post by Jupiter_Spunk »

I do most of my file searching in the terminal using find. I have an alias setup for it.

Heres a find tutorial
http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/unix/findcmd.htm

for example

find / -name *.torrent
Packrat1947

Post by Packrat1947 »

Hi Jupitor,

Thanks for your help. I would never had found them just poking around.

I have dual boot XP & Mint. After a chkdsk /r on the C:, it no longer boots properly. I've re-imaged back with Acronis, but still no joy. Explorer.exe is not loading (i.e. no taskbar or Desktop icons.) It will not load though the Task Manager either.

All this started because I tried to delete a certain .iso. It would not delete complaining about corruption and the need to run chkdsk /r C: . After the chkdsk things went downhill. Oh well, I guess something was really corrupted because even Knoppix 5.1.1 complained of corruption and would not touch the file.

I do have a recent cloned drive so I'm good there. I just want the torrents to pick up and continue. Most are rescue discs, and Linux .iso 's.

Thanks so much for your guidance. I'll print out your "find" terminology, and keep it in my ditty bag.
Packrat1947
Jupiter_Spunk

Post by Jupiter_Spunk »

I would start by checking your drive with the manufacturers utility, sounds like you may have bad sectors.
Sometimes these can be fixed, sometimes the drive will need to be replaced. Your manufacturer should provide a utility below are WD's and Seagates.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... 06&lang=en

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?l ... 04090aRCRD
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

If you know the names you can type file name in Menu -> Fliter

Also please mark Solved.
StanTheMan

Re: [Solved] Where are the .torrent files? [Solved]

Post by StanTheMan »

Transmission Bit Torrent by default saves the incoming torrent to /home/UserName/Desktop. But just before you add it to your download list, you can change the directory to " Other " and at that moment select another folder.

Return to “Beginner Questions”