[SOLVED] Running apps show as thin lines in the panel

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arbitrage1

[SOLVED] Running apps show as thin lines in the panel

Post by Arbitrage1 »

Hi all,

What setting do I have to change to be able to see the applications I have open, in the panel? The running applications only show up as thin vertical lines, to the right of the Show Desktop button.

To the right of the Menu button there is the button to display the desktop, and immediately to the right of that are thin vertical lines, one for each running application. I would like to see the entire icon for the application. Ive tried right-clicking all over that area, but there is no place to select properties.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Running applications only show as thin lines in the pane

Post by dawgdoc »

The first thing to check is if you have the <Window List> applet in the panel. Right click on the panel, select <Add to Panel> , scroll down to <Window List> and highlight it. Select the <Add> button and that should resolve it for you.

If that does not fix it, the 2nd thing to try is to look closely at the vertical lines. If you see a dotted, double vertical line, right click it, select <Move> and drag it to the right and click on the tool bar.
conslie

Post by conslie »

And if the above don't do it, right click the panel and select Properties and see that the icon size is appropriate - 24 pixels for the default size panel.
Arbitrage1

Post by Arbitrage1 »

dawgdoc wrote:The first thing to check is if you have the <Window List> applet in the panel. Right click on the panel, select <Add to Panel> , scroll down to <Window List> and highlight it. Select the <Add> button and that should resolve it for you.

If that does not fix it, the 2nd thing to try is to look closely at the vertical lines. If you see a dotted, double vertical line, right click it, select <Move> and drag it to the right and click on the tool bar.
Thanks for your help. I managed to click and drag on the slim lines, and as soon as I moved them out of the area they were in, the bars expanded to show the running program. I think there just wasnt enough space.

Return to “Beginner Questions”