winmodem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

What is the make of your modem?

Any serial port modem (except Hayes) will work fine, they are very cheap now.

Nick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Robfuscate
Level 1
Level 1

Re: winmodem

Post by Robfuscate »

Well, I'm a definite newbie, but this was my first test and I achieved it.

So here's what I did.

First off go here - http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/#scanModem and down load scanModem on another computer (and yes I know what a pain that is!).

Then move it to your home folder on your Mint Linux machine with a USB stick, or whatever.
Right click on the file and select 'Open with Archive Manager'
Then select 'Extract'

Once you have extracted the file then right click on it to 'Open' and select 'Run in Terminal'.

This will analyse your Win Modem and put a new folder called 'Modem' whereever you ran it.
Inside that is a file called 'ModemData.txt'. In my case, this told me precisely which driver to download and install. Hopefully it will do the same for you - but if not, there are instructions in that folder about what to do next.

Finally, to all those gurus who think this should be done completely in the Terminal - coming straight from a Windows environment I took the easy root first.

The next stage requires some very simple coding so it's the first step on that 'learning curve' :wink:

Rob
Robfuscate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Robfuscate »

And I achieved it, Unfortunately, I didn't keep a record of what I did and, having reinstalled Mint 4 after playing with Mint 5 for a time, cannot remember how to install my dial up modem driver - suggestions please.

The driver file is called hsfmodem_7.68.00.04full_k2.6.22_14_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb

How do I

a/ Install/Unpack/Compile - whatever the term is - this file

b/ Access the modem to actually get on the 'net?

Rob
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I'm one of the "dinosaurs using dial-up" in Linux. I'm always suggesting obtaining an external serial modem because getting winmodems to work with Linux is so difficult. They can be found used for under $15. Definitely has made my dial-up life easier -- no more concerns about finding drivers, etc. I have one for each of my Linux machines. Just a thought.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I poked around online for a few minutes looking at serial modems. My first stop was Newegg.com, and they have a decent selection of brand-new modems. This one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6825134002 , is only $30 US. In reading some of the reviews, it is said to work with Ubuntu, so that is a pretty good indication it should work in Mint, as well. I am not advocating purchasing from any company, but I have purchased from Newegg numerous times previously and have been extremely satisfied with the prices, selection, delivery, and the overall product quality. You may wish to consider seeing what else they have to offer, since buying used items can sometimes be risky. Good luck, and please post back with your success story!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

rivenought wrote:I poked around online for a few minutes looking at serial modems. My first stop was Newegg.com, and they have a decent selection of brand-new modems. This one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6825134002 , is only $30 US. In reading some of the reviews, it is said to work with Ubuntu, so that is a pretty good indication it should work in Mint, as well. I am not advocating purchasing from any company, but I have purchased from Newegg numerous times previously and have been extremely satisfied with the prices, selection, delivery, and the overall product quality. You may wish to consider seeing what else they have to offer, since buying used items can sometimes be risky. Good luck, and please post back with your success story!
I don't want to push any particular company either, but I picked up a few used external serial modems from geeks.com, and they've worked well in every distro that I use. Also sometimes local companies might have used ones that they don't need, or you can find them at second-hand stores, etc. My first external serial modem was a used one that I got from my job, they were going to throw it away. It was an old one, but it worked.

Return to “Beginner Questions”