Hibernation problems, etc....

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beansandjeans

Hibernation problems, etc....

Post by beansandjeans »

So for the past several days, the hibernation function hasn't been working right on my laptop. I'm running Mint 9 (Main/Gnome).

I first noticed it several days ago. I hibernated the computer before going to bed, and then when I woke up in the morning and it booted up it started a completely new session. I lost several unsaved text files I had open. Nothing too major (and yeah, I know I should have saved, but I was lazy!). Anyhow, when that happened, I thought it was just some kind of weird fluke, but then a couple days later something else happened. I had hibernated overnight again, and then in the morning it booted up like normal and I was able to log right back into my session, but then it logged me out like a minute or two later. The computer didn't shut down or reboot or anything, but the session was totally closed.

And now today I find that in the shutdown menu there's no longer even a choice for hibernation or suspending. I only have the choice to shutdown or restart.

I have no idea what's causing this - if it's some sort of malware or hijacking, or some bug or malfunction or just a setting that got adjusted the wrong way...

So if anyone has some insights into what may have caused this and how to get things back to normal that would be much appreciated! :-)

Also, I don't know if this is related or just a coincidence, but the volume control button is now missing from my bottom panel (by the date/time). I can still adjust the volume with my knob or with the more detailed sound preferences. But it'd be nice to get that button back, and it just seems weird that it would disappear like that.

Thanks everyone...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rgilpinsr

Re: Hibernation problems, etc....

Post by rgilpinsr »

I just installed Mint 10 about 3 days ago.I click on menu then log out and all I have are log out and switch user.How do I get restart etc. back?I dual boot with XP
rgilpinsr

Re: Hibernation problems, etc....

Post by rgilpinsr »

I solved the problem.I reinstalled mint.I got quit back.

Return to “Beginner Questions”