[Solved ]Convering From 64bit To 32bit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobNJ

[Solved ]Convering From 64bit To 32bit

Post by RobNJ »

Strange question, but is there any way to "downgrade"(?) a 64bit Linux Mint to 32bit?
One of the applications I need is a self-admitted 32bit build & I can't get any of the possible fixes to get it to run properly on my 64bit Mint. Can I go down to 32bit without a whole format, reinstall?
(I'm still dual booting with Windows til I get iTunes under control)C
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bitmason

Re: Convering From 64bit To 32bit

Post by bitmason »

From What I understand, Mint is Multilib-enabled - you should be able to build, install, and run 32bit software in linux mint 64. What exactly is the problem that the "fixes" won't solve?
RobNJ

Post by RobNJ »

The streaming audio on a viewer for Second Life named Phoenix Viewer. after going through all the fixes below, the audio still "stutters"

"linux Audio

Audio is known to be broken in linux versions 725 through 908. The solution is to copy the contents of the llplugin folder from an install of Phoenix 373, over to the corresponding folder in the more recent version, overwriting existing files.
linux 32-bit

Please ensure that you have gstreamer installed, along with these 3 plugin sets: good, bad, ugly. You will also need to ffmpeg plugin. Many distros come with all of these already installed, but some do not (eg, OpenSuSE).
linux 64-bit

Streaming audio/video issues on 64-bit linux distros are primarily due to the fact that Phoenix is a 32-bit build. This introduces compatibility issues. Nonetheless, some workarounds are possible. But be aware that they are not necessarily flawless.

First, see above regarding gstreamer.
Streaming Audio

Log out of Phoenix.

Using your file manager (dolphin or whatever), locate the Phoenix install directory), and inside that the shell script called snowglobe. Open this with a text editor (Kate, or whichever you prefer).

Find the line, '#export LL_BAD_OPENAL_DRIVER=x', in the 'snowglobe' script, and take out the '#', to make the line look like 'export LL_BAD_OPENAL_DRIVER=x', save the script.

Now run Phoenix and try streaming audio. You may experience a delay in in-world sounds; if so, relogging might help."
gn2

Post by gn2 »

AFAIK it can't be done, but here are some thoughts.....

Question: Do you have a separate /home partition?

If answer is yes: Simply re-install with 32 using a different username and keep the existing /home partition using the advanced partitoning option in the installer, then after 32 is installed you can copy files from the old user account to the new one

If answer is no: Create a dual boot with 32 as a separate installation then copy whatever files you need to keep from the 64 then remove the 64 installation if it is no longer required

As with all partitioning and re-installation, make sure everything you need to keep is properly backed up to removed media before you start and proceed at your own risk.
RobNJ

Post by RobNJ »

gn2 wrote: Question: Do you have a separate /home partition?

If answer is yes: Simply re-install with 32 using a different username and keep the existing /home partition using the advanced partitoning option in the installer, then after 32 is installed you can copy files from the old user account to the new one

Thanks! That worked!
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Good stuff, is your Phoenix viewer thingumajig working OK?
RobNJ

Post by RobNJ »

gn2 wrote:Good stuff, is your Phoenix viewer thingumajig working OK?

Yup, Thanks again! the music no longer stutters like Max Headroom!
gn2

Re: [Solved ]Convering From 64bit To 32bit

Post by gn2 »

Haha, I re re re member M M M M M Max!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YubzvkNh ... re=related

Return to “Beginner Questions”