Difficulty Booting From CD...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thewiseben

Difficulty Booting From CD...

Post by thewiseben »

Hi All,

I built my first computer from scratch today, and was excited about being totally free of Microsoft.

I'd already burned a copy of the latest release of Julia to disc, so I thought I'd be ready to go.

Sadly, when trying to boot from the CD (which I've gone through the BIOS to indicate it should first boot from CD), I get the message:
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

What should I do?

(I have actually gotten around this by booting from MSI's Utilities/Drivers disc, which has a tiny little OS called Winki that lacks all documentation. So I know my computer "works". I even went through Winki to download the latest Mint release. Sadly, I cannot figure out how to get the ISO to open.)

Any ideas would be sincerely appreciated. I'm a true newbie.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Difficulty Booting From CD...

Post by richyrich »

The Mint User Guide has a complete section on Installation, and includes instructions on checking the downloaded file before burning the iso to disk.
Note: Make sure to burn the ISO image to disk, and not to write the ISO file to the disk. A very common
mistake, especially for people using Nero, is to actually burn the ISO file on the disk as a data file. The ISO
file is an image of a disk so it needs to be burnt not as a file which will appear on the disk, but as an ISO
image which will be decompressed and whose content will be burnt onto the disc. After burning the CD you
shouldn't see the ISO file within the disc, but rather folders like “casper” or “isolinux”. Most burning
software has a special option for this.
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... h_10.0.pdf
thewiseben

Re: Difficulty Booting From CD...

Post by thewiseben »

richyrich wrote:The Mint User Guide has a complete section on Installation, and includes instructions on checking the downloaded file before burning the iso to disk.
Note: Make sure to burn the ISO image to disk, and not to write the ISO file to the disk. A very common
mistake, especially for people using Nero, is to actually burn the ISO file on the disk as a data file. The ISO
file is an image of a disk so it needs to be burnt not as a file which will appear on the disk, but as an ISO
image which will be decompressed and whose content will be burnt onto the disc. After burning the CD you
shouldn't see the ISO file within the disc, but rather folders like “casper” or “isolinux”. Most burning
software has a special option for this.
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... h_10.0.pdf
I appreciate the note. I will retry burning the disc and see if I can manage to do that correctly this time.

Return to “Beginner Questions”