How does one boot from the dvd ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cthepower

Post by cthepower »

No plans for guru-dome ;) :roll:

I have: DOWNLOADED LINUX and written to dvd ; this file which is sitting on the desktop as well ; linuxmint-10-gnome-dvd-i386

Probably unnecessary for this question but this is what I have and if there are anticipated problems; that would be helpful, thanks.

OPERATING SYSTEM----------Windows 7
COMPUTER------------------ACPI X64- BASED PC
PROCESSORS----------------AMD Turion(tm) II P540 Dual-Core Processor x2
RAM-----------------------------4GB
Hard Drives---------------------Toshiba MD2065GXN ATA Deivce
------------------------------WD EXT HDD 1021 USB
Display Adapter-----------------ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
Motherboard------------------Intel 945GZ
CD/DVD----------------------HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20F ATA Device

LOL, that is nice to see smilies
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: How does one boot from the dvd ?

Post by wayne128 »

Type this:

and put into google search, the first few links have nice procedure on how to boot computer from DVD :mrgreen:
colyn

Post by colyn »

Assuming that you burned an ISO image instead of a data file you first go to the bios setup (usually F2, F10, or delete at the boot screen) and set first boot as the CD drive. Re-start and the computer will bootup on the DVD..
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

1. Re-start the Computer ... when the computers icon first shows up, start continually tapping on either F2 or F10.

2. Once the computer system BOIS window opens ... change it so that it 'boots' from the DVD-drive first and not from the hard-drive.

3. Now place the MInt-DVD into the DVD-drive and Re-start the computer.

4. This time immediately after the computer systems icon screen, it should go Mint's Splash/Log-in screen (and not into Windows)
The one that asks if you want to open the disk as "Live" or "Install".

^ if this still goes directly into the Windows Log-in screen ... then repeat the first step.

5. Go for the "Live" feature . . . this should boot into Mint with everything working.
Play with Mint/Linux and see how you like it, go online, checkout all the Apps/programs.

If you decide you like it ... then reboot and select to "install" this time. Don't forget to 'back-up' important stuff.

** I haven't used a Windows-based computer in so long, I hope I didn't miss anything.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

And as they said...make sure you burned that Mint 10 dvd as an ISO image not as a data disc....Needs to be burned as an ISO in order to work....
And always a good idea to burn the ISO at a slow speed (say 2x or so)...
Once you've changed your boot sequence to boot off the cd/dvd drive first, when you re-start it will automatically go to the dvd rather then your hard drive...

I leave mine set like that all the time...in case i should want to check out some linux distro :lol:
Of course,i always come back to Mint :wink:
cthepower

Post by cthepower »

Wwwwwwwow, you are all great; thanks. I am anxious to get started.
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Before you burn the distro you downloaded it is a very good idea to check the MD5sum to make sure the download is a good one. BTW welcome to Linux and above all else BACK UP important files in case you bork your system :wink: After this crucial step ; HAVE FUN and don't be afraid to try to learn even at the expense of messing up the Linux distro which you probably will as everyone generally does. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

cthepower wrote:Wwwwwwwow, you are all great; thanks. I am anxious to get started.

In case you have not found the documentation,

here is the link
http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

worth to download it, read it and it has procedure on md5sum check .
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

wayne128 wrote:
cthepower wrote:Wwwwwwwow, you are all great; thanks. I am anxious to get started.

In case you have not found the documentation,

here is the link
http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

worth to download it, read it and it has procedure on md5sum check .
Thanks Wayne I couldn't remember where that link was for the life of me :? :oops:
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

grey1960envoy wrote: Thanks Wayne I couldn't remember where that link was for the life of me :? :oops:

Welcome grey,

learned from some guru here in the forum on how to google.

in fact, google probably would be much faster than search within forum :lol:

just for this one, you can type
documentation : linuxmint.com
and see how nice google did it for us, on first line :)

Using same method try it on
documentation : fedora.com
documentation : debian.com

seriously after a while when there are too may bookmarks, I also cannot remember where I keep them. So still google is our wonderful friend :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Let me add a welcome to the ones already extended. I've been running Linux machines for almost 2 years now. I dual-booted for about 3 months, and then (since I never booted into Windows anymore), I just scrapped the Windows partition altogether. You'll love Linux. It's stable and FAST! Also, if you like to tinker, Linux is the place to be. Load up LM10, and then if you wish there are more than enough other things to experiment with: apps, other distros, other desktop environments, and the list could go on and on. Most of all have fun. I love somebody's tag line here which is something to the effect of, "If it's not broke, fix it, until it is broken, then fix it again." How true, and really the only way to learn.

mikhou
colyn

Post by colyn »

One more thing to do is if the drive has Windows and you don't have the installation DVD build a set of recovery disks from the recovery partition..

Return to “Beginner Questions”