Upgrading with daul partion

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Upgrading with daul partion

Postby geardancer on Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi All,

I have a dual partition computer with Vista and Ubuntu 7.1 (same hard drive). I want to change my Linux partition to Linux Mint 4.0. My question is: is it better to erase my current Linux partition and load Mint or should I just write over the existing partition. I am concerned about screwing up the boot loader which works just fine right now.

Thanks,
Rick
geardancer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Upgrading with daul partion

Postby clem on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:52 pm

You can simply boot from the Mint CD, then select your linux partition as the installation target. This will result in a new dual boot between Linux Mint and Windows Vista.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby bill w on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:31 pm

I would like to add a question to this post if it's ok. I'm hoping to turn a friend on to LInux, but Gutsy has many issues regarding the HP 9000 series. Will Mint be a good option for him? He has already partitioned his hard drive with another partitioner. Will Grub allow this? Thanks. Hope this was not an intrusion.
bill w
Level 1
Level 1

Postby geardancer on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:28 am

clem wrote:You can simply boot from the Mint CD, then select your linux partition as the installation target. This will result in a new dual boot between Linux Mint and Windows Vista.

Clem

Thanks for the quick response Clem. I'll be Minting by this weekend.

Rick
geardancer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby geardancer on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Loaded LinuxMint on 11/23 as recommended. Worked just fine. I stumbled through the partion screen but got it figured out.

Rick
geardancer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions