how can I check if DVD drive is RPC-1 or RPC-2

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Royalconsort

how can I check if DVD drive is RPC-1 or RPC-2

Post by Royalconsort »

Hi Folks,

Sylvia here with a question. I got a disk from one of my friends and it says 2 on it. How can I check if my DVD drive is RPC-1 or RPC-2? I have tried to research this question, but I was not able to find an answer. All I know is that DVD drives come with Region Code label. The earlier drives RPC-1 can have their region code set with 'regionset' to one of

Code: Select all

1  North America (USA and Canada)
2  Europe, Middle East, South Africa and Japan
3  Southeast Asia, Taiwan, Korea
4  Latin America, Australia, New Zealand
5  Former Soviet Union (Russia, Ukraine, etc.), rest of Africa, India
6  China
The RPC-2 are hardware set. Typically the drive has a counter set for a count of 5 that the region code can be "set". By "set" I mean, when you insert a disk for playback from one of the "other" regions, unawares you can change your own region permanently. If you ask me I can give you a very good idea what should be changed permanently for those big executives who came up with this scheme in today's day and age global village.

My drive is TEAC DV-W24E 7.1A PQ: 0 ANSI: 5 and the command "dmesg | grep sr0" returns

Code: Select all

sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
I suspect form2 is the incidental reference to RPC-2, but I am just a girl, I don't know anything about technology. Period.

Thanks so much

Sylvia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Royalconsort

Re: how can I check if DVD drive is RPC-1 or RPC-2

Post by Royalconsort »

Update.

During my research I discovered a program DISCInfo.exe which runs under wine that shows what region the drive is set for and how many more "attempts" you still have left.

Sylvia

Return to “Beginner Questions”