Toshiba Laptop P105 S921 - No Audio

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Toshiba Laptop P105 S921 - No Audio

Postby jaguar3d on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:34 pm

Good evening fellow Linux Guru's I'm positive this isn't the first you all have heard of this. I read that finding the best disbo is like religion. Each will have to find his/her own. Well so far i've like Sabayon, but could not get the sound to work. Further reading lead me to finding something not as complex as Gentoo. My next choice of taste testing is Mint and so far everything worked first hand!! wireless, my XP Pro Drive is readable, It was amazing how nice it is to write this of a bootable CD. OK that's the intro and it is where the fun stops..

I Want to install and replace the Sabayon install i have on this laptop. I had the same problem with the audio. MINT shows me volume controls and detects the following:
HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)
and
Conexant CX20551 (Waikiki) (OSS Mixer)

All volumes are up and not muted. THe media player shows graphical view of audio so it "appears" to work.

Here is my lspci:

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce Go 7900 GS (rev a1)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
0a:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
0a:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
0a:04.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
0a:04.3 Generic system peripheral [0805]: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller

I want to stick with Mint because of what i've heard that it is the next better flavor to Ubuntu. I'm an adminitted newbie in search of dropping my oil addiction, i mean my Microsoft Addiction (Synonimous, but that's another thread). I will dual boot until i fully transition into doing the vast tasks in oil/windows that i've been used to. I'm willing to pay attention and follow step by step instructions and drop all my defenses in "thinking" i know more than you all here. I do appreciate any and all assistance with "Seeking OS Independance"

With all due respect

The Jaguar
jaguar3d
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Toshiba Laptop P105 S921 - No Audio

Postby enchance on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:20 am

The problem may lie with your audio settings and not your laptop since Alsamixer is already being detected. Do the ff:
Code: Select all
$ aplay -l

This lists all your detected soundcards. What you're looking for is the card # of your main soundcard. For example, this is what came out from my laptop:
card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 0: ATI IXP AC97 [ATI IXP AC97]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Modem [ATI IXP Modem], device 0: ATI IXP MC97 [ATI IXP MC97]

Here my main card is located in card 0 since the other one is my modem card. Once you know that, edit alsamixer by typing

$ alsamixer

You'll have several options here which all correspond to your audio settings. What you need to do is make sure that External Amplifier is muted and PCM and Line Jack is not muted. Press "m" to mute/unmute. You'll have to scroll to the right by pressing the right arrow key to see them. As for the rest you can customize them any way you want.

Once that's done, run
$ sudo alsactl store 0

This basically stores your settings for the next time you boot up. This method also works for ASUS laptops which don't have sound OOTB.
enchance
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jaguar3d on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:09 am

Hello I tried aplay -l and got the following:
root@mint:/home/mint# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: Conexant Digital [Conexant Digital]

I then opened alsamixer and got the following:

Card: HDA Intel                                                              │
│ Chip: Conexant CX20551 (Waikiki)                                             │
│ View:  Playback  Capture [All]                                               │
│ Item: Line-In                                                                │
│     ┌──┐       ┌──┐                 ┌──┐                 ┌──┐                │
│     │▒▒│       │▒▒│                 │  │                 │  │                │
│     │▒▒│       │▒▒│                 │  │                 │  │                │
│     ├──┤       ├──┤                 └──┘      ┌──┐       └──┘                │
│     │OO│       │OO│                           │MM│                           │
│     └──┘       └──┘                           └──┘                L    R     │
│                         ------     ------               ------    CAPTUR     │
│    93<>93    100<>100               0<>0                 0<>0                │
│    Mast r      P M    <Line-In >  Mic Bypa   IEC958    Capture    ExtMic   

It does not appear to have an
"External Amplifier"

Thank you, please let me know what else i can try.
jaguar3d
Level 1
Level 1

Postby enchance on Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:19 pm

Your alsamixer looked somewhat ok. Use this thread instead to fix your audio problems http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449&highlight=comprehensive+sound+problem+solutions+guide
enchance
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions