Set File to run as root.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GBW

Set File to run as root.

Post by GBW »

I just did my first install of Linux today then installed wine and MultiPing under wine. Lo and behold I am able to start MultiPing but anything I try to ping shows 100% packet loss. I'm trying to figure out how to make MultiPing run as root as I am told that it has to be run as root in order to be able to ping. Please go easy, I need step by step instructions. Any help would be appreciated. :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Set File to run as root.

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but there is a much less complex way of trying to accomplish your goal. Instead of relying on Wine, why not use an equivalent tool that's already available for you in Linux?

(1) The ping command

You can do this one of two ways:

(a) From the Mint menu, open the Terminal application and type the following command:

ping name-of-host.com (or .edu or .co or whatever) and press the enter key, ergo:
ping google.com
ping yahoo.com
ping linuxmint.com
ping 192.168.1.1

Once you're done, just hit Ctrl+C on the keyboard and you'll see a summary report.

(b) You can also run the ping command directly. Press Alt+F2 to bring up the Run Application dialog, and within the box beside the gears icon, type the ping command as shown to you in method (a) above. Put a check mark on the box labeled Run in terminal, then click the Run button.

The difference between method (a) and (b) is that you won't see a summary report for (b).

(2) Network Tools

On the other hand, if you prefer a GUI, open the Mint Menu, under the Administration category, you'll find the Network Tools application. The ping tool is on the second tab. There are also other tools on different tabs that might interest you. The interface is pretty self-explanatory. You can figure it out how to use it for yourself.

The tools above will let you ping one host at a time. If you want to ping several hosts at the same time, all you have to do is run multiple instances of the same command/application.

It's easier, isn't it? :D

HTH.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Beginner Questions”