It does not sound like it much but you may have a bad burn of somekind, I have a check-list of things to look for if you can not install mint. Is it a purchased CD or did you download and burn the ISO ? If you downloaded and burned then check out the following, it may be any of these:
- maybe a bad burn
- check the MD5 sum
- burn slow if possible (2x or 4x)
- try the CD in another machine
- try a different brand of media
- try burning the iso to a DVD-RW media (don't laugh, this works)
- move the iso to another machine and burn it with it's burner
- test the media drive
- search the forums
- check to see whether your motherboard / soundcard / network card / "hardware x" is compatible with Linux: http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html
- Google for it: http://tinyurl.com/2rfwr
Welcome to the Mint forums ahninmd !
If none of these are the problem, post back and an expert should stop in to help you.