[SOLVED]A noobs issue :D

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Loc24

[SOLVED]A noobs issue :D

Post by Loc24 »

Ok here is the issue i am having. I have been running mint from a usb and on the stick i had forty to fifty photos that i where editing, well i bought a laptop off a friend of mine installed mint 10 gnome on the laptop encrypted my home folder. So here is my problem I moved the photos to the laptop and first i put them in my home folder switch over to laptop os where r the photo know where to be found
use search still cannot find them and i know that there is a way to find them but how to do it i dont know the way so if someone could help me or point me in the right direction i will be in ur deb.

if there is anything else just let me know what info is need thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Angtagapagligt

Re: A noobs issue

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hello Loc24,

welcome at first ;)

I don't really understand you problem but I will try to help you. You should explain it one more time with a bit more details ;).

Try to boot from your USB stick and open your file explorer (Menu -> Computer). You should see there your laptop hard disk. Than open this hard disk and go in the folder "home". Now go in your "USB-stick-home" and drag and drop the photos in the "laptop-harddisk-home".

So long

Angtagapagligt
Loc24

Post by Loc24 »

Ok some how i have placed the folder in to the root folder of the usb stick and everytime i try to move it its states this: Error while moving "files name". There was a error moving the file into /home/mint/Pictures/Photos. Show more details:
Error moving file: Permission denied

What command would i use to move this files from root to /home/mint/Pictures/Photos
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Code: Select all

sudo mv "Path to your USB-stick root folder" /home/mint/Pictures/Photos
Of course you have to replace "Path to yuor USB-stick root folder" with the right directory. After you hacked this in you have to give your root password.
Loc24

Post by Loc24 »

Thanks for u 4 ur :mrgreen: help i finally got the pictures :mrgreen:
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

:)

Great!

Glad that I could help!

Return to “Beginner Questions”