No software volume control on sound

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

No software volume control on sound

Postby Hybrid_theory on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:38 am

I have installed mint 4.10 back when it was a beta. Now my sound works but i cannot adjust the volume through the software controller. it can be adjusted on amarok and such, but i want control on the overall output stream. I have a creative live 24 bit sound card. I am using 5.1 speakers.
Thanks for any help.
Hybrid_theory
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No software volume control on sound

Postby Husse on Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:59 am

Welcome to Mint Hybrid_theory
My theory is that you've made a typo :) Mint 4.10 will never exist :)
Double click on the volume control - I assume that with "the software controller" you mean the little loudspeaker by the clock.
In the "Archive" section you may have an option "Switch unit". Do so and see what happens. A lot of motherboards with built in sound have two units, I have "Nvidia CK804" and "Realtek ALC850". Not that I know why but that's the way it is
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Hybrid_theory on Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:05 am

i do have a few options. i dont see an archive tab though. but ive run into a different problem. i was having the control issue last night, i put the computer into suspend mode. I came back and no audio now. this did happen before and i could not figure out what it was. happened then on a shutdown/reboot.
Hybrid_theory
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:14 pm

Archive should be there in the menu once you've double clicked the volume control (speaker) The alternative to the left, and once you click it you get the options Switch unit and Quit
Suspend is a nasty thing.....
The advice is to do a cold reboot, usually solves the problems associated with suspend and hibernate
(Cold reboot - shut down for a while and then boot again)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Hybrid_theory on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Just on another pc right now....

Well i was on this morning and ive been loaded in windows all day since then. btw the controller says something other then activate. but it gives the option to switch and thats what is important. I know i have 3 mixer choices. CA1028(alsa mixer) Nvidia HDA(alsa mixer) or an ICE9508 OSS mixer. Last one may be spelt differently but its something like that. I know last night i was getting audio out of the nvidia one. This morning none of them worked. ill try it again when i get home, see what happens. any suggestions otherwise?
Hybrid_theory
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Hybrid_theory on Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:04 pm

im on the daryna beta. would this cause any issues?
Hybrid_theory
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions