Lost all admin privileges

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tnicholson

Lost all admin privileges

Post by tnicholson »

I have stupidly managed to mess up root file permissions, have no access to su or sudo, cannot change anything on the computer configuration, including backing up my home directory so I can reinstall mint 10. I have tried editing grub to get a new password, edited /etc/group with nano and used visudo to edit sudoers.

Nothing is working, what should I do at this point.

Ted
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: Lost all admin privileges

Post by SimonTS »

Have a look here and follow the instructions;-

http://www.ivankristianto.com/os/ubuntu ... buntu/930/

or

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

or

http://www.debuntu.org/recover-root-pas ... e-and-grub

or, search on Google using the terms "ubuntu recover root password"
tnicholson

Post by tnicholson »

Thanks for the suggestions, but they are not working well. No matter what I try, I cannot change a password. I cant even change my own. I know I did something stupid with the chown command the other night, and that began the nightmare. I am amazed that I can still access the computer at this point. It won't even allow me to print.

Just wish I could save my email, I have already copied my data. (can't backup ya know). Then I would just reinstall the os.

Ted
conslie

Post by conslie »

If you run from a LiveCD, I believe you will be gain root privileges from there and do what you wish.

From a terminal the command gksu nautilus should bring up the file browser with you as root.

You may also be able to restore the permissions settings on the installed OS, if you figure it out. The irc channel #minthelp may be helpful. Just start up Xchat IRC.
tnicholson

Post by tnicholson »

Thanks, conslie:

But by the time I saw your post, I had already reinstalled the os. I remembered how to copy my email and bookmarks. My documents and financial stuff had already been copied. At least I keep it all in one place. So once I gave up the ghost, it only took a couple of hours to bring it all back.

Just in case, I have saved your suggestions.

Ted
conslie

Post by conslie »

You've reached guru-1 level. Break it and then fix it in 20 mins. Play more and enjoy still more and become more empowered at every stage.

Return to “Beginner Questions”