Help setting up lxde settings

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarioMaster100

Help setting up lxde settings

Post by MarioMaster100 »

Alright so I installed mint 9 gnome as my linux os because I liked those packages more and I like lxde as well, so I installed lxde manually. My xchat system tray has disappeared, the open apps such as chromium on my panel are blinding white, I can't find my trash bin, and also ctrl + alt + t doesn't open terminal anymore :/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MarioMaster100

Re: Help setting up lxde settings

Post by MarioMaster100 »

Alright so I uninstalled all the lxde stuff and installed it with the whole meta lxde package this time. And I still don't have a ctrl + alt + t shortcut, a trash bin, and the bottom of the open stuff still looks bright --> Image

Edit: Also it refuses to unmount my windows hard drive O_O
conslie

Post by conslie »

It appears that you tried to install lxde on top of LM9.

If so, don't expect things to work. Instead, get the LiveCD and install that distro on its own / partition. You may recover your expected LM9 functionality by uninstalling all the lxde stuff.
MarioMaster100

Post by MarioMaster100 »

conslie wrote:It appears that you tried to install lxde on top of LM9.

If so, don't expect things to work. Instead, get the LiveCD and install that distro on its own / partition. You may recover your expected LM9 functionality by uninstalling all the lxde stuff.
Yeah I did, you can't install desktop environments over and make them work and I remove the stuff via synaptic and remove the lxde meta package that I used right?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You can but it requires more than just install or uninstall packages. You might have to change a few configuration files and it's easer to install from the appropriate CD. Unless you want the LXDE and the Gnome desktop on the same install so you can chose at the login.
MarioMaster100

Post by MarioMaster100 »

nunol wrote:You can but it requires more than just install or uninstall packages. You might have to change a few configuration files and it's easer to install from the appropriate CD. Unless you want the LXDE and the Gnome desktop on the same install so you can chose at the login.
I did chose at the login but I didn't change config files and I probably wouldn't know what I'm doing. Anyways I uninstalled all the lxde package stuff.

Return to “Beginner Questions”