How to handle messages in Terminal

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glitchathon
Level 3
Level 3

How to handle messages in Terminal

Post by glitchathon »

So in Synaptic, when I upgrade, sometimes I get a dialogue box with a message that I can close and continue with the upgrade.

When the same thing happens in the terminal, I get a message and I scroll to the end. But there is nothing else I can do at that point, and all I can do is end the terminal thus terminating the process. Is there a way to indicate I read the message and continue with the upgrade?

Thanks very much!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: How to handle messages in Terminal

Post by DrHu »

Just hit the enter key to respond in the terminal...
--you will sometimes notice that effect when there are multiple parts of an application set (package ) to install, each section can be ended when there is a stop/pause and the terminal seems to be sitting there doing noting (but the package might still be running and load into RAM (memory), which, unless you were monitoring the progress you would be seeing..

The Linux terminal only expects some kind of response and the enter key or a cursor key direction (<-- -->) stroke is required, if you want the system to proceed with its next step (whatever that might be..)

More complete explanation of the terminal characteristics/operations..
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOW ... tml#ss17.1
glitchathon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by glitchathon »

hmm I did hit ENTER a few times, but as I thought nothing was happening, I just closed the terminal. Thanks for the link. I have a lot to learn on the ins and outs of using the terminal.
mads

Post by mads »

When you have read the info in Terminal, hit 'q' key to quit the message.

Return to “Beginner Questions”