How to force icon size (size meaning PIXELS not zoom)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How to force icon size (size meaning PIXELS not zoom)

Postby Chrono86 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:23 pm

Hey all
Been using Linux on and off since around 2000 and Linux Mint is the best I've seen yet. One thing that's always bothered me about GNOME is how icons on the desktop tend to be all different sizes, especially when I have to hunt down icons on google and the such. I am very particular about how my desktop looks and I like it all to be very neat, as I'm sure some of you other guys do as well. Is there a way to force all the icons (and all icons added in the future) to a certain pixel size, like 64x64 or 128x128? I know the stretch option is there as well as the zoom but neither of those guarantee all the icons to be exactly the same size...as I said I am crazy about things like this! :lol:

Thanks!
Adam
Chrono86
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to force icon size (size meaning PIXELS not zoom)

Postby Chrono86 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:35 pm

Anybody?
Chrono86
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Chrono86 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:23 am

I know bumping topics is annoying, but this thread is no longer on the first page with no responses...nobody can help me?
Chrono86
Level 1
Level 1

Postby antiquexray on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:15 am

Chrono86 wrote:I know bumping topics is annoying, but this thread is no longer on the first page with no responses...nobody can help me?

What do you mean "PIXELS not zoom?"
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Chrono86 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:14 pm

antiquexray wrote:
Chrono86 wrote:I know bumping topics is annoying, but this thread is no longer on the first page with no responses...nobody can help me?

Sorry, what I meant was that I already know about the zoom option, but I want a way of pre-defining the size of all current and future desktop icons, so that I don't have to fiddle around with the zoom to make them all look 'about the same size'...
Chrono86
Level 1
Level 1

Postby antiquexray on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Chrono86 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:

Sorry, what I meant was that I already know about the zoom option, but I want a way of pre-defining the size of all current and future desktop icons, so that I don't have to fiddle around with the zoom to make them all look 'about the same size'...

Oh man! Can't help you with that one! Sorry. Maybe some one else much more advanced in Linux than I can.

Me, I resize and save them in my /home partition. Then I drag them out as needed. Wish I could help you more.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Chrono86 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:16 am

antiquexray wrote:
Me, I resize and save them in my /home partition. Then I drag them out as needed. Wish I could help you more.

That's ok, thanks for trying! :D

Anyways I realized I might as well just scale all the icons in gimp to the same size, and then set the zoom level at 100%. I guess that's the simplest way of doing it.
Chrono86
Level 1
Level 1

Postby antiquexray on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:56 am

Chrono86 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:

That's ok, thanks for trying! :D

Anyways I realized I might as well just scale all the icons in gimp to the same size, and then set the zoom level at 100%. I guess that's the simplest way of doing it.

Well, that's more than I knew. Thanks for helping.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions