FONT problems, LINUX mint menu(FIXED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

FONT problems, LINUX mint menu(FIXED)

Postby jasex on Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:25 am

I want to change the color of the linux mint's custom menu, to match my GTK theme... because it's impossible to read anything in it, because the theme sets the fonts to white, where as the menu also is white...

Another question... how do I return the mint logo to the menu icon, I recently installed G-Tangish icons... and it set the mint logo over to ubuntu, but upon restart, I now have the gnome foot... returning it to the mint logo?
Last edited by jasex on Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasex
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LINUX mint menu

Postby jasex on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:03 am

Color fixed ... via self.

Anyone can help with Linux Mint Menu icon?
jasex
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmost on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:47 am

Right-click mintmenu; select preferences. In the gconf-editor window that appears, you'll see a key for applet_icon_name. This points to the icon called distributor-logo.png by default. Obviously, when you change icon themes from Mint's to something else, a new distributor-logo.png becomes the default. You can change it back via a few methods. 1. You can make a copy of Mint's distributor-logo.png and rename it something (like mintmenu.png); copy it into your default icon theme's folder (where distributor-logo.png resides) and then change the gconf-editor key to the new icon name. 2. All you have to do is create a link to Mint's distributor-logo.png in your current icon theme (rename the old distributor-logo.png to distributor-logo.png.bak.) 3. Alternately, you could just overwrite your current icon theme's distributor-logo.png with Mint's. In any case, that's how you'll change the icon. Whew!
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jasex on Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:19 pm

Thank you very much cmost... now to keep from cluttering the forums I shall ask another question in here.

I fixed the fonts already in some spots... but when I ran the live-disc/installer, a lot of system fonts were appearing at like size 72 or something, and this maintained even after install too... now inside GNOME I fixed it all... but on GDM it still appears ginormous!!!!! Like... when I type in my name and pass... the text in the box is too big to view, and the password echo icons are huge as well.

Fix for this?
jasex
Level 1
Level 1

Re: FONT problems, LINUX mint menu(FIXED)

Postby jasex on Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:53 pm

BY the way... the mint menu is not fixed... all it did was mess up and end up giving me an X... any one want to re-do the g-tangish theme for me so that the menu icon is correct... ?
jasex
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmost on Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:45 pm

I'm guessing you used method (1.) in my earlier post (which I admit was not sound advice. You'll get the red "X" placeholder icon if you have not specified a fully qualified path to your distributor-logo.png icon and/or if you did not use a standard gnome icon name. The latter part is the key (which I had forgotten.) I misdirected you to rename Mint's distributor-logo.png to something else. Scratch that. According to the developer of USP (on which Mintmenu is based:) GNOME uses standard names for certain icons. So as long as you use a STANDARD GNOME NAME any icon will work. One way to find out the list of icon names is to look in a theme folder. You can use any name you see there, just leave out the extension such as .png or xpm...
e.g., gnome-logout is a standard GNOME name so using gnome-logout as the icon name in /apps/usp/applet_icon_name will just fine.

Also, be aware that Mintmenu looks for icons in /usr/share/icons by default. Finally, when you've made your change be sure to remove and then re-add Mintmenu to the gnome panel for the changes to take effect.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jasex on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:44 pm

I didn't rename it, I just over wrote my current theme's menu icons... could it be that it's using a specific size, and the icon size doesn't match... the icons are there, overriding the distributor-logo ones previously there...

Should I just tell it to call the direct path to the mint icon in the shared icon folder celena? Full direct path... will that work?
jasex
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmost on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:03 pm

You know, I just recently changed icon themes from Celena's default to a new one (gion-blu) and now I see what you mean. I painstakingly renamed all the "start-here.png" for every size for both the /usr/share/icons/gnome, /usr/share/icons/Human and /usr/share/icons/gion-blu (my new icon theme) and an Ubuntu logo is STILL f@$#%$ing displaying in place of the Mint logo. Manually specifying a path to a start-here.png that's a Mint logo doesn't have any effect. confused?!? Any ideas? This is driving me crazy!!!!!!! Where is this Ubuntu logo coming from??????? (Clem! any ideas???)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions