my wierd d101ggc mother board

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

my wierd d101ggc mother board

Postby paru_neo on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 pm

hey again all,

this is my second post since i've joined this wonderful mint forums.

i have this same problem while installing ubuntu feisty. i have this d101ggc mother board with inboard ati express graphics accelerator. i can't enable the wobbly window effect (just having to remain content with seeing others enjoying it on their PC! errr!). it shows up on the restricted driver list and fails to work even after the system update (915resolution).

another thing, while i was installing from the live cd. an 2 error messages showed up while the kernel was booting up:

Code: Select all
[ 250.610095] Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
[ 288.599647] Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0

while going through some other ubuntu forums i have found anything that can resolve my problem. so i'm counting on this form to try something for me.

thanks
paru_neo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: my wierd d101ggc mother board

Postby Husse on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Welcome to Mint paru_neo
If you have ATI you don't have 915 resolution, that's Intel
But you have an Intel mobo with ATI chip and graphics - a really odd creature :)
(Video Integrated ATI* Radeon* X300 based graphics)
The newest drivers aside fglrx does not work with aiglx (oh how geekish :))
In plain english this means that the restricted drivers don't work with Compiz
(ATI's proprietary driver - fglrx - won't work with AIGLX +Beryl. You should try XGL+Beryl instead.
The proprietary ATI driver does not support composite extensions and will not work with Beryl unless you are running under an XGL session.) The same goes for Compiz as far as I know
Did you manage to install? I guess so...
device fd0 is the floppy - who cares?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: my wierd d101ggc mother board

Postby paru_neo on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:07 pm

yeah i did manage to install after a pain staking 40 minutes - for others this took 20-25 minutes. i don't know, it feels so wierd that my mother board can't be fully integrated with ubuntu linux releases.

it's really stupid of me, but your informative reply was a bit advanced compared to my knowing of computers :?: could you kindly tell me which website to check with?? that would really help.

thanks
paru_neo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions