sound not working

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: sound not working

Postby sticknam50392 on Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Uhhhh.....wha???
I'm lost. :(
sticknam50392
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby chrisO on Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:04 pm

Sound Problem HP DV9000 update
My machine HP dv9000 Multimedia
Using Mint Daryna
I just plugged in usb speakers,then in the control panel sound setting set sound to USB Audio ,for music and videos
For system sounds set to alsa ,then from the terminal type sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-generic

PRESTO ALL WORKS
Oh and set the keyboard layout to HP multimedia sk2501
Hope this helps
chrisO
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sticknam50392 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:06 pm

Gah.
Does this mean I can't use my laptop's speakers and have to use USB speakers?
sticknam50392
Level 1
Level 1

Postby adredz on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:17 pm

helo clem! i can't find options for posting topics here. im so irretated! that's why im venting in the middle of this topic instead posting my concerns in the right place. im so sorry for the rant. just wanted desperately to know more about linux mint. anyone here who run this forum could move this post if you might wish. anyway, im sick of ubuntu. the interface is little bit retarted. it has no artwork at all. to make it worse, i couldn't play mp3s and videos. i tried kubuntu but it has lots of bugs and it's very crowded with useless apps and no media codecs too. so im here, roaming around to elicit info about this distro(linux mint) i keep hearing about. one thing is that im confused with your main edition. is it a Gnome? if it is, why am i seeing screenshots in the internet of linux mint "daryna" having single panel instead of two(bottom and top).im virtually new to linux and gnome and kde really is confusing me. i am assuming that when the desktop is Gnome, it must have two panels. just want to make it clear if the "main edition" of linuxmint daryna is gnome-based. maybe you could show me some screenshots of the daryna main edition. it's an issue to me since i don't like gnome. another thing is that i want know how stable Daryna is compared to Ubuntu Gutsy. one thing i like about ubuntu is that it is very stable unlike kubuntu. how about daryna?
adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby adredz on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:18 pm

helo clem! i can't find options for posting topics here. im so irretated! that's why im venting in the middle of this topic instead posting my concerns in the right place. im so sorry for the rant. just wanted desperately to know more about linux mint. anyone here who run this forum could move this post if you might wish. anyway, im sick of ubuntu. the interface is little bit retarted. it has no artwork at all. to make it worse, i couldn't play mp3s and videos. i tried kubuntu but it has lots of bugs and it's very crowded with useless apps and no media codecs too. so im here, roaming around to elicit info about this distro(linux mint) i keep hearing about. one thing is that im confused with your main edition. is it a Gnome? if it is, why am i seeing screenshots in the internet of linux mint "daryna" having single panel instead of two(bottom and top).im virtually new to linux and gnome and kde really is confusing me. i am assuming that when the desktop is Gnome, it must have two panels. just want to make it clear if the "main edition" of linuxmint daryna is gnome-based. maybe you could show me some screenshots of the daryna main edition. it's an issue to me since i don't like gnome. another thing is that i want know how stable Daryna is compared to Ubuntu Gutsy. one thing i like about ubuntu is that it is very stable unlike kubuntu. how about daryna?
adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby seba on Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:30 pm

adredz wrote:helo clem! i can't find options for posting topics here. im so irretated! that's why im venting in the middle of this topic instead posting my concerns in the right place. im so sorry for the rant. just wanted desperately to know more about linux mint. anyone here who run this forum could move this post if you might wish. anyway, im sick of ubuntu. the interface is little bit retarted. it has no artwork at all. to make it worse, i couldn't play mp3s and videos. i tried kubuntu but it has lots of bugs and it's very crowded with useless apps and no media codecs too. so im here, roaming around to elicit info about this distro(linux mint) i keep hearing about. one thing is that im confused with your main edition. is it a Gnome? if it is, why am i seeing screenshots in the internet of linux mint "daryna" having single panel instead of two(bottom and top).im virtually new to linux and gnome and kde really is confusing me. i am assuming that when the desktop is Gnome, it must have two panels. just want to make it clear if the "main edition" of linuxmint daryna is gnome-based. maybe you could show me some screenshots of the daryna main edition. it's an issue to me since i don't like gnome. another thing is that i want know how stable Daryna is compared to Ubuntu Gutsy. one thing i like about ubuntu is that it is very stable unlike kubuntu. how about daryna?

Hi there,

No, not Clem (the Master) but a newbie ;)
I have been using Daryna Main since almost 2 weeks and it's great.
It has been my first ever Linux attempt, have been using various WinOS's since almost 20 years.
You wrote you don't like Gnome, too bad because that's what it is in the Main edition. There is also a separate KDE version available though.
About the panels, in the Main edition, you can have 1 or 2 panels, top or bottom, left or right or one on the top and one the bottom.
With Mint Daryna codecs are allready provided, I could easily import my MP3 collection into Amarok music player, it works, well, perfect sofar,
The same with playing DVD ISO files using VLC, no problems sofar.
About Mint itself, it is perfectly stable sofar/since 2 weeks, I installed it on a blank HD. It's the only OS I use atm so I cannot comment on dual-boot.
Since installing I have had 2 grey screens (like a windows blue screen but without the drama), I had to close and restart the programs that froze, Mint itself stayes perfectly stable.
Updating and installing through Mint Update and Synaptic has also proven to be easy and without any problem sofar.

Preliminary conclusion; I'm here to stay, Mint install, updating, installing, playing music&movies, surfing (I allready used FF), everything has gone smooth sofar.
Inevitably problems and difficulties, mainly because of a lack of knowledge, will come but not until now.

I can sincerely advise you to try/use Mint Daryna.
Greetz,
seba
Attachments
Screenshot4.jpg
I only changed some icons in the app.dock AWN and the typewriter and HD png
Screenshot4.jpg (241.93 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sticknam50392 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:44 pm

Err....
Going back to the topic that this thread was originally about.....
Thanks so much for the fix, I typed in all that stuff into terminal on faith, and lo and behold it worked!
Much love for the Linux community.
sticknam50392
Level 1
Level 1

Postby seba on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:08 pm

sticknam50392 wrote:Err....
Going back to the topic that this thread was originally about.....
Much love for the Linux community.

Sorry to mess up the thread.
Just had to reply with my positive experience.
Indeed, a lot of love for the linux community.
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:31 am

Possibly a solution here
http://linuxtechie.wordpress.com/2007/1 ... -in-gutsy/
Gutsy backport is enabled in Daryna by default
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions