sound not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: sound not working

Post by newW2 »

Welcome to Linux Mint s418woods - how did you hook into linux mint? What version on mint are you using (main, kde, xfce)? Did you install and keep the home partition you had in mepis?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint s418woods
Do you get any sound at all?
Husse

Post by Husse »

In spite of the aprox 20 minutes time delay between the two answers I did not see it before I posted - odd and gives a somewhat strange effect :lol:
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Looks like we may have another good knowledgeable contributor in our mists. :lol:
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

sticknam50392 - We would still need the same questions answered ... no sound at all ... and is this a fresh install, i.e. - did you start with another distro and keep the /home partition from that install? Other things:
is it on-board audio (motherboard mfr), a sound card, etc.
At this point there isn't much to go on. For example, once I lost all audio, but only on only the applications like media players. It turned out that all these apps had to have the same output plugin.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Hi there,

One of the advantages of being based on Ubuntu is that sometimes solutions to Mint problems can be found in the Ubuntu forums. Below is an Ubuntu link relevant to your computer. I have a HP dv2000t series, and sound is an issue. Check the Mintu HowTo forum for my comments on sound with my HP laptop.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/hp_dv6000_serie ... 8aeb15451e

Best regards
John
Husse

Post by Husse »

Safe - yes and no. Not to recommend.
It's safe if "nothing is going on". If this is not the case you may get severe write errors to the hard disk - depending on the quality of the disk. Good disks should write everything in their cache memory even after power is turned off (the spinning disk makes the motor into a generator).
But all data in RAM is lost and possibly something should be written to logs etc which does not happen.
In essence - you don't destroy your PC but you can cause logical errors that may be hard to fix
nilsvac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nilsvac »

Things are getting a bit out of tune here.
Sometimes the sound works and sometimes it don't.
After I reboot(re-start) my system no sound, reboot again, one or a couple of times, there is sound. Over and over again.
I think something is wrong, probably with me, but is there a solution for this?

Cheers
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Hi folks,
Here is a reply I received on the ALSA bug site. Seems to be in the same direction that s418 Woods responded. I haven't looked at my system yet but will do, to see what is there.

Hi JohnH and everyone who cares,

yesterday I installed the original SuSE kernel 2.6.22.5-31-default (from
DVD) as an alternate boot kernel. I did this manually by extracting the
files from RPM and copying the files to their destination location. (Seems
that Yast does not support installing alternate (older) kernels ).

And belive it or not, this was all I had to do and after a first reboot
(still booting the newer kernel 2.6.22-12-default) sound was back.

There was no obvious reason for this. First I finished alternate kernel
installation (grub, initrd and depmod) and then I tried to find out what
happened. But on next reboot, sound was muted again, regardless which
kernel I was booting. Restarting alsa at runtime did not help.

I found that there is one file in the rpm of kernel 2.6.22.5-31-default
which is now in use by both kernels: /etc/modprobe.d/module-renames. The
depmod -a (running 2.6.22-12-default) created new module dependencies
including this file). Maybe this muted sound again?

Commenting out everything in this file and updating dependencies : sound
still muted.
Undo comments but not updating dependencies : sound is back again.
And sound is back again for both kernels!!

So for now all I can tell is that it does not look like a kernel bug.
Either no sound at all or sound from both kernels. Seems is has to do with
module dependencies.

But I am still not convinced completely. Yesterday evening, I did not have
enough time to test all the combinations several times and see if behaviour
is reproducible.

Is there anyone with a better guess?

Best Regards,
Klaus Hi

This might be of help to some of you.

Regards
John
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seba »

adredz wrote:helo clem! i can't find options for posting topics here. im so irretated! that's why im venting in the middle of this topic instead posting my concerns in the right place. im so sorry for the rant. just wanted desperately to know more about linux mint. anyone here who run this forum could move this post if you might wish. anyway, im sick of ubuntu. the interface is little bit retarted. it has no artwork at all. to make it worse, i couldn't play mp3s and videos. i tried kubuntu but it has lots of bugs and it's very crowded with useless apps and no media codecs too. so im here, roaming around to elicit info about this distro(linux mint) i keep hearing about. one thing is that im confused with your main edition. is it a Gnome? if it is, why am i seeing screenshots in the internet of linux mint "daryna" having single panel instead of two(bottom and top).im virtually new to linux and gnome and kde really is confusing me. i am assuming that when the desktop is Gnome, it must have two panels. just want to make it clear if the "main edition" of linuxmint daryna is gnome-based. maybe you could show me some screenshots of the daryna main edition. it's an issue to me since i don't like gnome. another thing is that i want know how stable Daryna is compared to Ubuntu Gutsy. one thing i like about ubuntu is that it is very stable unlike kubuntu. how about daryna?
Hi there,

No, not Clem (the Master) but a newbie ;)
I have been using Daryna Main since almost 2 weeks and it's great.
It has been my first ever Linux attempt, have been using various WinOS's since almost 20 years.
You wrote you don't like Gnome, too bad because that's what it is in the Main edition. There is also a separate KDE version available though.
About the panels, in the Main edition, you can have 1 or 2 panels, top or bottom, left or right or one on the top and one the bottom.
With Mint Daryna codecs are allready provided, I could easily import my MP3 collection into Amarok music player, it works, well, perfect sofar,
The same with playing DVD ISO files using VLC, no problems sofar.
About Mint itself, it is perfectly stable sofar/since 2 weeks, I installed it on a blank HD. It's the only OS I use atm so I cannot comment on dual-boot.
Since installing I have had 2 grey screens (like a windows blue screen but without the drama), I had to close and restart the programs that froze, Mint itself stayes perfectly stable.
Updating and installing through Mint Update and Synaptic has also proven to be easy and without any problem sofar.

Preliminary conclusion; I'm here to stay, Mint install, updating, installing, playing music&movies, surfing (I allready used FF), everything has gone smooth sofar.
Inevitably problems and difficulties, mainly because of a lack of knowledge, will come but not until now.

I can sincerely advise you to try/use Mint Daryna.
Greetz,
seba
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.
seba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by seba »

sticknam50392 wrote:Err....
Going back to the topic that this thread was originally about.....
Much love for the Linux community.
Sorry to mess up the thread.
Just had to reply with my positive experience.
Indeed, a lot of love for the linux community.
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Possibly a solution here
http://linuxtechie.wordpress.com/2007/1 ... -in-gutsy/
Gutsy backport is enabled in Daryna by default

Return to “Beginner Questions”