Nasty GCC errors

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Nasty GCC errors

Postby horia314 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:04 am

Hello people of the Linux Mint forums. Here's another n00b's story : the other day I installed Linux as a dual boot with an infested and crappy Windows XP. The installation worked flawlessly and the system looks great (:P). But here's my problem. My ISP requires that all computers run a small application in order to stay connected to the Internet. On Windows, it's an .exe that runs in the background, but on Linux it's a .sh script. Of course there is a howto guide provided, and the needed packages (libmcrypt and wget which are already installed, and php-cli and zendoptimiser which I have to manually install).

When I try to run the configure script for each package, some stuff gets done, but an error occurs when testing for GCC saying that : "GCC could not create the required executable files". Some further digging showed that a certain crt1.o file was missing (needed by a program called ld - a linker I assume).

I've searched the forums and the Internet, and I've haven't yet found a solution. The closest thing was someone saying that this file was misplaced and by moving it to /usr/bin/lib he got GCC to work properly. That hasn't worked for me because 1. I wasn't able to find a crt1.o (using find) 2.Mint (I might be wrong here) doesn't have a /usr/bin/lib (I guess /usr/lib would be the same thing).

I've downloaded the php package with Windows and it was successfully installed with the package manager, but it then had 12 dependencies it also needed, and God knows how many other dependencies the first set will have, so I won't go that path unless I'm really really in a corner.

So - catch22 : To get to the Internet, I need php, but to get php correctly I need Internet. If anybody could help me, I'd be really really grateful, and a cold beer would await them the next time they visit Romania :oops:
horia314
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nasty GCC errors

Postby nick on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:47 am

Hi

Try

Code: Select all
dpkg -S /usr/lib/crt1.o

Probably libc6-dev: /usr/lib/crt1.o

crt1.o is the "c run time object" which gets prepended to
your files when you compile them so they can run when you type their names if you have the permissions set correctly.

So if you can download libc6-dev deb on USB
stick on another computer (and its depenedencies)
and then install

Not sure about the PHP but I think you will have to download
them also
Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby horia314 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:56 pm

Thank you for the reply. I installed the libc packages and all the required files were present in their normal locations (I was even able to compile a small test program with it), but the darn beast still wouldn't budge - this time it was a lex error.

Anywho, I just took the 20 or so required packages for PHP of the Ubuntu repository and the thing worked. Not I've just got to phone the ISP and tell them their script isn't working.

Thanks again for the quick replay and a cold one's waiting for you if you ever venture through these parts :))
horia314
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nick on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:59 pm

Hi
and a cold one's waiting for you if you ever venture through these parts :)

Hopefully that would be my pleasure someday :)

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions