Magic Jack-Linux Mint 10 Julia

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Magic Jack-Linux Mint 10 Julia

Postby killerwolf on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:15 pm

So, the OS recognizes there is a phone plugged in, I get a dial tone, and everything seems to work until I try to dial out. After that, I get nothing on the line. I can't seem to figure out what I need to do, and I'm a serious Newb (to computers, internet, Linux, Magic Jack, you name it). I don't want Windows anywhere near my PC, as when I tried to install it, it wanted to wipe my PC's hard drive and with it, Linux Mint 10 Julia (which, while more complicated than Windows 7, is far superior and I am kinda growing attached to it). How can I make Magic Jack work in Linux? I will need replys to be stated in Layman's terms. Also, if it makes any difference, I'm running on a Toshiba Satellite L-505, 3 GB RAM, expandable to 8 GB (supposedly), and a 320 GB Hard Drive.

Thanks

WFD
killerwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Magic Jack-Linux Mint 10 Julia

Postby killerwolf on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:55 pm

I also have no clue how to use virtual software. It is confusing the hell out of me.
killerwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killerwolf on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Okay...how about if I want to run windows XP virtually, rather than installing windows 7 on my Hard Drive? How would I install a copy of Windows XP on a computer meant for Vista but is running Linux Mint 10 Julia? I have 3 virtual software programs (Wine, VMware, and Virtualbox), and I don't know how to use any of them...any suggestions there?
killerwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Inkit on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi killerwolf,
Never heard of magic jack until now myself, but when I checked, it says download for windows (PC) + mac users. This kind of lets us out. you could try other software that is compatible with Linux, a short google search will give you a number. if you want to try using magic jack with virtual software, like wine, there is no guarantee that it will work, because it is a new piece of software. no harm in trying though. with a virtual windows environment like you get with the other two you can probably connect, but for that you might as well use a dual boot. your system will be much faster, and there's no point, unless you want it this way.
Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Postby peperloader on Sun May 01, 2011 12:37 am

MagicJack will not run natively on Linux. You can get it to work if you use Virtual Box or VMware running Windows but that is the only way it will work. MagicJack has been promising Linux support for years but they have never followed through and they probably won't.
peperloader
Level 1
Level 1

Postby peperloader on Sun May 01, 2011 12:40 am

There is more information on this if you go to the Unofficial MagicJack forum. Wine will not work though.
peperloader
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killerwolf on Sun May 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Okay. That's cool. I have been given a Magic Jack, and it sure would save me a lot of money over my cell phone if I could get it to work...I have both Vmware and Virtualbox, but I'm not sure how to use either of them. Any directions for that?
killerwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killerwolf on Sun May 01, 2011 12:38 pm

I don't want to mess with a dual because: 1) Microsoft wants to wipe my Hard Drive Clean, and also sucks royally, and 2) Because I will only be using windows for Magic Jack. Everything else, I want to run from Linux (especially internet, given what happened last time I ran Windows 7 online). Even with Windows Defender, Norton Antivirus and AVG Antivirus, my computer crashed seconds within getting a virus. If my PC gets too slow, I'll just upgrade my RAM. I want to have Magic Jack work, but beyond that, Microsoft can hope to earn money elsewhere.
Last edited by rich_roast on Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self censoring via _underscores_ doesn't mean it's not offensive.
killerwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Inkit on Sun May 01, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi killerwolf,
Just a couple of points in case you didn't know them.
I'm no windows fan, and in fact do not even have windows installed in my system. I have another on which I dual boot for those occassional times when I do need to use windows. I would still recommend dual booting simply because it solves a number of problems, and if you have a windows cd it doesn't make any difference anyway. even if you are going to run windows through vmwareware, you will still need to pay for it because you'll have to load windows from somewhere, right - the genuine
with regards to viruses, whether you believe it or not, your system is just as safe, or unsafe whether you dual boot or go through vmware. if you do get any viruses, you will still have them on your system, just because you're using vmware doesen't render you safe. this is a little long winded, so I don't want to get into that, but the bottom line is that when you are on windows, whichever way, you can still get attacked.
I've never used vmware, and tend to go with wine for those that do, so cannot help you there. Sorry.
Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Postby peperloader on Tue May 03, 2011 4:02 pm

I recommend google to find info about Virtual Box or VMware. I used Virtual Box in Windows to run Mint but it was slow so I put Mint on it's own hard drive. I would just dual boot if you only have one drive though.
peperloader
Level 1
Level 1

Postby TBABill on Wed May 04, 2011 12:15 pm

I have MagicJack at my house as well, plugged into a Windows 7 machine. However, I did some research and found a device that runs right off of ethernet so you can plug it into your router without even needing a computer. I have not bought one but the technology sounds cool and it becomes OS agnostic: NetTalk. http://www.nettalk.com/

If anyone has one, please advise if it works well or not. I'm interested in trading my MJ for one if it's a quality product.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Postby chiefjim on Wed May 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Seeing that TBABILL mentioned an alternative I'll do so as well. Ooma. Funny name for a system that is connected to my router, not the computer. Back ported through my existing wiring I have phone service everywhere in the house.

Have had mine now over two years. Broke even on costs in 5 months and been ahead ever since.

http://www.ooma.com/
Desktop:
Mint-17 Mate 64 bit
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
AMD Athlon II X3 425
CORSAIR 4GB DDR2 800
640GB HDD WD Black 7200rpm

Laptop:
Acer Aspire AS5552-5898
Mint-17 Mate 64 bit
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830
4GB Memory DDR3
500GB HDD 5400rpm
chiefjim
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions