Graphics driver working, not smoothly?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Graphics driver working, not smoothly?

Postby Hermith on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:47 pm

Hello, this has probably been asked a million times before, but I couldn't find anything related to my problems so I thought I'd ask you guys.

So recently installed Mint, with the drivers that was recomended. I have a Nvidia 7900GT and the driver install recognized my card and told me the newest drivers was compatible with my card. It runs kind of smoothly (that game Alien Arena runs somewhat smoothly on higher settings) but tabbing and resizing Firefox (and other windows as well) lags somewhat. Could this be the drivers not working completely? Thanks.
Hermith
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Graphics driver working, not smoothly?

Postby 67GTA on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:10 pm

That would have more to do with your system specs. Mainly RAM. What hardware do you have? Sometimes Firefox can get greedy with RAM. I always use this guide to tweak Firefox. There are a lot of tweaks, and some pertaining to RAM usage by Firefox.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_1.html
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Graphics driver working, not smoothly?

Postby Hermith on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:31 pm

2 GB of Ram, two with 1 GB each. Uhm, Intel 3800+ single core as well. But the strange thing is when I used Ubuntu for a while these things ran smoothly. Even with Beryl on hard work with several effects things never seemed to slow down.
Hermith
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions