Remote desktop into my mom's LAPTOP

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Remote desktop into my mom's LAPTOP

Postby venky80 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:18 pm

I am trying to get my mom to use linux for long, she is in portland and I am in madison. This time when I visited madison I took some time off from a very busy schedule to install Linux mint into my mom's computer. I chose mint for obvious reason, even though I use Arch linux and Ubuntu here at my home.
I have a problem though, I want to remote into my moms computer and as stated earlier I really had no time to configure tight VNC etc. I have to also state I am relatively new to linux too.
So is there anyway I can get my mom's PC configured, so that I can remote desktop into her laptop. I have to also state that she is behind 2 routers and has wireless. She can get to internet though without any issues and I love the fact that everything works out of the box in linux mint.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Venky
venky80
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Remote desktop into my mom's LAPTOP

Postby Noob Saibot on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:25 pm

You could try downloading tsclient from the aptitude. You will need to put it on both computers I think (for vnc) and find out your moms ip address. I use tsclient to connect to my moms xp box 1000 miles away. It seems to work well except for being a little slow but I have always thought its cause I have to use RDC (Microsoft way) instead of VNC. Going Linux to Linux, I would think would allow better results.
Enjoying the Mint Experience
"(to touch the earth is to have harmony with nature)" -hippy
Noob Saibot
Level 2
Level 2

Postby stafio on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:02 pm

For remote connections, I would recommend FreeNX.
stafio
Level 2
Level 2

Postby venky80 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:12 pm

ok looking for something more, I know and I have read about freeNX VNC ssh etc. But my issue here is I don't have access to my mom's computer and i am very far.
Also she is behind a router so her ip is like 192.168.0.11 which is the ip given by the router.
Can anyone point me to a how to or something where I can get a stepwise instruction to get to my mom's pc.
Thanks
venky80
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions