No right click or double touch for mouse touchpad

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mongoose_za

No right click or double touch for mouse touchpad

Post by mongoose_za »

Hi there,

Just installed Mint 10 and I don't have a right click for my touchpad!
In Ubuntu I had a double touch which would raise the context menu of a right click, but that doesn't seem to work in Mint for me.
Is there anyway to gain a right click on my touchpad? Right click is best but even a double touch solution would be great.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Inkit

Re: No right click or double touch for mouse touchpad

Post by Inkit »

Hi mongoose,
I'm not on my laptop right now, but I think if you go to menu>preferences, you'll get an option to set your mouse preferences. in it you'll have an option for the touchpad, and you can change your preferences there. I don't know if you've already tried this, but if not you can.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

open Synaptic Package Manager, type touchpad in the quicksearch box, and you may find exactly what you are looking for ! :P
mongoose_za

Post by mongoose_za »

hey i searched for touchpad in the package manager.
I installed gpointing-device-settings and tpconfig.
Now I have Pointing Devices in my menu and I can setup my Touchpad settings. Unfortunately even enabling tapping I still can't right click? Anyway to actually enable the second button?
I thought perhaps I'm double tapping too slowly and I even turned off my mouse speed so it can't move away from the point I'm trying to double tap but still I can't pull up the context menu.
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Dont know what a double touch function is, but in mine there are two buttons below the touchpad. the right button is a right click. I generally use this. Does your laptop not have this?
mongoose_za

Post by mongoose_za »

Inkit wrote:Dont know what a double touch function is, but in mine there are two buttons below the touchpad. the right button is a right click. I generally use this. Does your laptop not have this?
Yes I have 2 buttons but they both do the same thing!
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Uh :roll:
How is that possible. Have you gone into mouse settings and changed it by mistake, but even then I don't know how you can get both buttons working as a left click.
mongoose_za

Post by mongoose_za »

so the solution for me was here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/308191
I downloaded the synaptics-dkms_1.1.1_all.deb on the right side and i don't have a right click but i can double touch the pad to gain the right click menu.
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Good for you mongoose. Could you also edit your first post and add [solved] to the title. that way anyone else with similar problems will know that there is a solution here.

Return to “Beginner Questions”