Openssh and LiveCD

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Openssh and LiveCD

Postby ml2 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:58 pm

I am thinking of trying to save a friend's documents from his Windows computer with LinuxMint 3 Live CD and openssh. His Windows has "gone sour" and won't start, but the documents are on the C: partition, so I should get them out before anything else.
My USB stick won't work in LinuxMint, and I think I should try copying the documents via the network.
I have done this with two LinuxMints, but I don't know whether new applications can be installed while using the LiveCD, and I guess the necessary packages are included on the Live version, or are they?
Thanks.

I ran into an unexpected problem: I don't know the username and password for loging into the LinuxMint LiveCD session.

Addition: Never mind this problem, I found the answers - yes, openssh can be installed and works - and I also found a way to set the password. I just did it in the Administration - User settings in the Live session.

But I will probably run into a new problem at some point. If the files are backed up on ext3 filesystem, how will I be able to copy them back to the Windows system? Will Windows's My Network Places be able to find the LinuxMint system?
ml2
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Openssh and LiveCD

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:01 am

The basic answer to your last question is yes
And one way or the other you will be able to get it back to your friends windows - you could burn a CD if nothing else works
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions