Xorg hogging my CPU

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Xorg hogging my CPU

Postby dberg918 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:12 pm

I've been looking for a good image viewing/editing/managing program for a little while, and for some reason, since I've started using Picasa and F-Spot, Xorg has been hogging between 10%-20% of my CPU all the time. Why is this happening? I've been having some trouble with mintUpdate progressively using more and more RAM, but disabling it didn't stop the Xorg process from consuming CPU power.

I know Xorg has something to do with my display settings, so did Picasa or F-Spot do something make it power hungry? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I don't plan on using either program anymore; Picasa is still in its early stages for Linux, and F-Spot felt slow and preferred using a timeline rather than just organizing photos by folder.
dberg918
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Xorg hogging my CPU

Postby linuxviolin on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:51 pm

dberg918 wrote:Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Not me sorry... but I don't use Picasa or F-Spot :)

For a good photo management app, use Gthumb (see my 'Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:12 pm' post here about Gthumb vs F-Spot)

And F-Spot is a Mono/Microsoft app :twisted:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Xorg hogging my CPU

Postby newW2 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:14 pm

Not sure about f-spot, but Picasa is a search / indexing tool for photos. This may be what is eating the resources. The Beagle file search tool has been known to cause such issues.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions