linux mint 4.0 and dual boot from nvidia raid

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

linux mint 4.0 and dual boot from nvidia raid

Postby jimp on Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:31 pm

hello,
I have just found out about linux mint and was wanting to try it, I downloaded 4.0. I have a gigabyte board with an nvidia raid controller on it, I have 2 80 gig drives stripped with winxp already installed, I used partition commander to resize the ntfs partition so It would leave me 40 gigs to use to install mint on. I was able to reboot into windows and I see the 40 gig of unallocated disc space from XP. next I put in the Mint 4.0 disk and rebooted, my first surprise was to find out this is a "live dvd" system, but it does have an install to hard drive option. I tried the install to hard drive wizard but when it asks me what drive to install to it shows my 2 individual 80 gig drives but not my raid with it's individual partitions. Am I trying to do something that is not possible? I would like to try Mint but I can't afford to lose my XP partition to load it. I goggled to try to find an answer and found this http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_dapper_raid_system which sounds like it might be a solution but I want to try mint, will this work the same for mint? If so what would i need to change? If not, can someone tell me how, or where to find a howto, for doing this?
Thanks
jimp
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: linux mint 4.0 and dual boot from nvidia raid

Postby Husse on Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:37 am

Don't use that link it's for a much older version.
The thing with these raid controllers is that they are fake, not real hardware controllers and that gives a lot of problems, as some can't be used with anything but Windows....
Here's a guide for Gutsy which is what you should look for in Ubuntu when you have Daryna
http://www.dersoldat.org/?page_id=358
I'll add a few words
backup backup backup backup
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions