After install of 4.0 help!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

After install of 4.0 help!

Postby mds232 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:11 am

Hello all,
First I'd like to say I am about the newbiest of Newbies, never used Linux before however I am very good with windows based computers but thats about it,anyways my problem is as follows.

4.0 is the first Linux distro I could get to install I tried at least 5 other linux versions and none worked, all freezing during install, so today I was like what the heck why not try that new version...and it INSTALLED!!! woot! then after the install I rebooted and got nothing. I have managed to get it to run by doing some weird command thing i figured I could try while looking at video card problems oh yes and it would only install in safe grafics mode, anyways Sorry i can't remember the commands i entered but sudo ....blah reconfigure blah-xorg or something lol sorry!!! but when I restart I have to do that whole process over again it asks like 20 questions about video, keyboard, screen, ext... while I'm in the OS after answering all those questions I cannot get online, cannot change the video settings or it lets me but nothing actually happens. I am using a Nvidea GeForce 7600GT 256mb card running a P4 prescott processor, 1gb kingston value ram (2x 512mb), 80gb sata HD, i have a Chaintech Mobo, floppy disk, and a cd/dvd drive. Oh and this is running on a vizio 32in LCD HDTV. I just dont know what to do to get things running correctly I have the driver cd's for the mobo and everything but linux wont run .exe's? or just the ones on the disk wont load when I click on the installs, Thanks for any help anyone can be and if you need more info let me know! thanks!
mds232
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: After install of 4.0 help!

Postby newW2 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:09 pm

Welcome mds232. What do you mean?
then after the install I rebooted and got nothing.

Did you just get a terminal type display that asks for to login (username and password)?

If you get that far (logged-in) but at the $ prompt, enter "envy -t" (no quotes). This will bring up the textual install window for envy - a front end to install and uninstall drivers. Choose install the nvidia driver. I have the same graphics, and the driver that envy installs works.

btw it sounds like you ran one of these ... maybe?
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
-or-
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg --frontend=gnome
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mds232 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:36 pm

If you mean terminal by the dos looking thing, yes I can get there when I boot safe mode or what not, but the other mode where it visually asks for user name and pass and has the linux mint background I can't get there. I'll try what you said in about 30mins if its what I think you mean, in the dos like mode type that stuff and install the nvidea driver? and yes you got it I ran the first sudo one you mentioned. Thanks I hope this works!
mds232
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mds232 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:25 pm

Ok So i think the problem is that it wont read my network card, the connection is working fine, the lights are blinking on the back of the comp and on the modem but when I do the "envy -t" it says unable to connect to this and that...any idea's?
mds232
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions