Disable touchpad...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Disable touchpad...

Postby goombakid on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:07 am

Hello,

First time user to Linux Mint, and I'm loving everything about it! I've tried using other distros, but this was the easiest to use and kinda configure for a n00b like me.

Anyway, I need help totally disabling the Synaptic touchpad on the notebook. I set it so that it won't register a click when I tap on it, but when I type, it will move all over the place...again making the experience annoying when I need to type, like posting this thread. I usually use a USB mouse for whatever...I just don't like using the touchpad at all.

I am kinda getting the hang of Terminal, but a step by step would be helpful and appreciated if I have to go into that to change settings.

Thank you.
goombakid
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Disable touchpad...

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:24 am

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby goombakid on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:39 am

Thanks for the link, Husse!

With this script on the link, does it also automatically switch to the touchpad when the USB mouse is not present? Is there a way to modify the script so that when the USB mouse is not plugged in, the touchpad will automatically turn back on?
goombakid
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:23 am

If my memory serves me right the author of the script writes in the post that it checks for the mouse so the touchpad does not get disabled if there's no mouse
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions