Compiz Questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Compiz Questions

Postby jack.mitchell on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:40 am

Hello everyone,

I sucessfully installed Linux Mint yesterday to dual boot with Vista and everything essential is working as it should! Congratulations on creating such a sucessfull distro, i've been toiling with linux for the past 2-3 years on and off and this distro could finally make me stick!

However, i'm a student and we like to show off! Hence Compiz is a must ;) I have installed the advanced config tools from synaptics (ccms) and no matter what settings I change nothing is applied for instance wobbly windows and so forth. My current spec is as follows:

Linux Mint 4.0
Radeon Xpress 1150 with flrgx drivers

I'm sure its just something obvious i'm missing here, so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreicated!

Regards,
Jack.

PS - I looked in the manual in the sticky and compiz is not even mentioned?
jack.mitchell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Compiz Questions

Postby civint on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:06 pm

with 4.0, and gnome 2.20 and all, I think what you have to do to enable compiz/desktop effects, is to right click on the desktop and go to "change desktop background" or whatever it is, and then go to the tab which has labeled "effects" (I'd check, but I'm not on my own computer right now....) and select full from the three options (the bottom one). Then, you should be able to get wobbly windows, 3d desktops and rain effects and al the rest! But I'm not reeeally sure, since t=showing off isn't really what I use my computer for, lol.

Hope this helps a little bit, or at leasts prompts some better answers!
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jack.mitchell on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:44 pm

Solved!

I had to change my xorg.conf to read:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "enabled"
EndSection

Then I had to install xserver-xgl from synaptic.

Hope this helps somebody else!

Jack.
jack.mitchell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby EnvoyRising on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:34 pm

Actually, if you installed ccsm (at least when I did), that dialog expands to enclude a fourth option labeled "custom" so clicking "full" is like taking a step backwards.

As for your delima, I have had the same problem on two separate machines, and the only way I ever fixed it was to just reinstall the distro, search for "compizconfig" in synaptic and install all resulting packages except for the dev and kconfig packages.

Alternatively, you could install gnome-compiz-manager, which doesn't have nearly as many options, tends to be less flakey. This will at least get you your wobbly windows, and a few other functional plugins until you get ccsm up and running.
EnvoyRising
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dberg918 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:52 pm

I've found that logging out and logging back in tends to make changes take effect, although that's kind of inconvenient if you're tweaking stuff rather than just enabling/disabling something. Then again, I've had instances where I've been playing around in the Compiz settings manager and the changes took effect immediately. I guess it's only proof of the fact that Compiz-Fusion is still in the development stages after merging with Beryl.
dberg918
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions