Upgrading Thunderbird in Celena

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Upgrading Thunderbird in Celena

Postby T J Tulley on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:40 pm

I've been using Celena for a couple of months. I opened TB yesterday and a new version was announced - i downloaded it and transferred it into Downloads in my home directory.

This morning I set about installing it - and ran into trouble.

man apt-get told me to look at etc/apt/sources.list so I tried to access that from a command line - now I have just clicked on that item in a Tomboy note copied from the terminal and sources.list has opened in GEdit! How should I have opened it - this was by accident? The terminal simply said "Not a directory".

Now in the forums I see great changes - new forum software - very nice, lots of comments; Daryna released - but still Beta apparently. I haven't time to tackle that before Christmas. Somebody says a new installation is less trouble than an upgrade - any advice?

But now the new TB looks very attractive. How do I get it into my repository from my existing download of thunderbird-2.0.0.9.tar.gz ?

In Cassandra I had to remove TB 1.5 before installing 2.0, and had a lot of problems so i didn't repeat that when Celena arrived with the older version. I think synaptic had become corrupt in Cassandra.

This new version says it has resolved an issue in 2.0. Probably it will still be necessary to remove 1.5, but we were promised that after 2.0 subsequent versions would automatically update.

The syntax of apt-get looks alarming - I see that apt is recently announced as simplified, but its manual still says use apt-get. I shall now be grateful for any advice about proceeding with the TB-2 installation. Should I just leave 1.5 still installed, and wait until I tackle the stable version of Daryna after Christmas?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Upgrading Thunderbird in Celena

Postby civint on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:24 pm

First off, it's fine to edit files like that in GEdit, I edit my xorg.conf files in GEdit, because it;s easier for me than command line, so no worries there.
(A reason for "not a directory" is probably because you typed
cd
then the exact location of the apt.sources list, using the filename, since cd is for directories)

I would personally always install a fresh version, because of simplicity, and there is less danger of clashing bits and pieces, although if you used a seperate partition for /home, then there should be no troubles. If not, then I used a portable hard drive to store my stuff, but I don't have that much on my pc anyways, so it might be different for you.
If you reinstall/upgrade, then your apps will too. If not, then just add the new repositories to your old list (either in GEdit, or from synaptic), or try the linux mint software portal, which works great, and imo is easier than synaptic for a quick update, or install of single apps.

The 4.0 version is stable, and so you should have an easy time updating thunderbird.

apt-get is still fairly standard, for firefox, just type

apt-get -install firefox

and it should work.

No idea if I have been ANY help at all, hopefully I have shed some light on at least part of your problem
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Upgrading Thunderbird in Celena

Postby T J Tulley on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:46 pm

Thanks civint - I suppose it should have occurred to me that if it's a file, a double-click would open it.

Now I have seen that Daryna 4.0 is available as Standard edition in a downloadable iso file, and that it includes TB 2.0, i am downloading it. (Currently 60%). My /home is a partition so is easy to save and copy into the new location - I shall keep Celena running in case of trouble - I have a partition available into which I hope I can insert Daryna - shall need to create /swap and /home for it on the same HDD.

It's possible that TB 2.0 in Daryna is not quite the latest 2.0.0.9 in which case I suppose it can easily be substituted as it's already here?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions