Newbie Questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Newbie Questions

Postby mark7604 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:14 pm

Windows Vista user (i'm sorry) Please forgive the inaneness of these questions .

1. I am connected to the internet with ATT YAHOO DSL and wondering how Linux will take to the 2wire Router and
software also the Router has wireless capability and my wife uses it without us having to set up a network.

2. Printer Issues I have a Lexmark x5470 and wife (laptop wireless through router and Network Magic) is able to utilize
this without me being logged in but with computer running (will this be still possible with linux?

3. Just what software can be utilized with Linux?

That is about it for now I'll probably think of other issues after i send this.

Thanks
Mark Ostruszka
Mark7604@sbcglobal.net
mark7604
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby EnvoyRising on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:21 pm

The best thing for you to do, especially for hardware concerns is to just try it. Afterall, it is a livecd.

There are plenty of applications that are crossplatform, and even more that are native linux that shoudl suit your everyday needs. As for hte ones that weren't meant to run under linux, a lot of those can be run under linux using a program called wine. The only real area linux seems to struggle is with games, considering the nature of the market, but we are slowly coming along in that area, particularly first person shooters.
EnvoyRising
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions