New Linux kernel blank screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brjaan
Level 1
Level 1

New Linux kernel blank screen

Post by brjaan »

Hi I am new to LDME but have enjoyed using Mint 9 and 10. I have a question. Recently I have attempted loading Mint 11 and ubuntu 11.04 but have encountered a blank screen while loading from the live discs. Discs were tested. IT happened again when the new kernel was loaded during my update for LDME. Luckily there is a choice to use an earlier kernel. Does anyone know why this is happening. It is acting like it is still loading but the screen goes blank.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AdamS

Re: New Linux kernel blank screen

Post by AdamS »

hardware detail please
brjaan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brjaan »

I am pretty it is not a hardware issue it only happens when I try to go to a distro with new linux kernel. I am running a intel celeron 64bit chip 2gig ram emachine with embedded graphic chip, 250 HHD disc and DVDrw player laptop. When I run debian it will the list the current or what I am going new linux kernel, recovery mode and the last linux kernel and recovery mode as choices. If I choose the latest version it will boot up act like it is working and then the screen goes blank while still acting like it is booting up. This also happened when I tried to boot with a live disc of ubuntu 11.04 and Katya or Mint 11.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

sorry man, you missed the point to the question. We need some detail about the system to better under stand and answer your initial question.

You see, the point here is there is a high possibility the newer kernel just isn't offering native support for your hardware.

So DETAIL about the hardware in question will help us know how to better help your understanding.
brjaan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brjaan »

Ok when I return from work I will get all the specs and post them I apologize.
brjaan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brjaan »

Laptop is a emachine 525
specs listed below
Processor Intel® Celeron® mobile processor 64bit
Screen 15.6” (1366×768) Widescreen
RAM 2GB
HDD 250GB
Optical Drive DVD+-RW
Graphics Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
Network 10/100 Ethernet
802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection

All the information I have. I have been doing some research and it appears that emachines are having similar problems.
brjaan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brjaan »

Just as I suspected I removed the new Linux kernel no problems. Is there a problem with the Intel Celeron 64bit chip or emachine 525?
sumski

Post by sumski »

Try to adjust brightness with Fn keys.
brjaan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brjaan »

That is the wierd thing and this goes back to when I first started using ubuntu and any other linux distro I am unable to adjust the brightness on my computer.
sumski

Post by sumski »

Try to add

Code: Select all

acpi_osi=Linux
to

/etc/default/grub
in section

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=' '
and then run

update-grub
jchw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jchw »

I have an eMachine E525 laptop and have exactly the same problem. I tried to install both Ubuntu 11.04 and Mint 11 and had the same problem with both. I think it is a kernel bug relating to the graphics card.

I reinstalled Ubuntu 10.10 and Mint 10 and am reconciled to waiting until the kernel bug is fixed. I have no desire to see Ubuntu 11.4 but I would like to upgrade to Mint 11 sometime.

Return to “Beginner Questions”