just another noob

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

just another noob

Postby Codyh3 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:29 pm

About a week ago me and some of my friends in my web design class thought that it would be a good project to learn something advanced like Linux. One of my friends told me about Linux mint and its friendly environment. I downloaded Linux Mint 4.0 Darnya from the torrent using azereus. It downloaded fine and thats the point where I started struggling.

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to unzip the ISO, So I read up some on it and decided that was the best decision. So I used Win-Rar to unzip it. I then used Roxio to burn the data disk. I selected the .bin file in the isolinux folder for the bootable image on the disk, and I also put the casper folder, .disk folder, md5sum.txt, and .disc_id file into the Cd and let it burn.

When it was done I rebooted my brand new Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop
With:
320 Gig hard Drive
2 gig ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS

I hit F12 for the boot menu and I chose CD-ROM as the boot.

It then gives me the error "
Boot From CD:
1. FD 1.44MB System Type -(00) "

Any help?

Suggestions?

I used to have red hat Linux but barely got to mess around with it before my computer crashed. So I am a basic noob to the whole operating system.
Codyh3
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: just another noob

Postby 67GTA on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:41 pm

You don't unzip an ISO file. You have to burn the ISO "image" to disc. You can't just burn the files to disc. There are some instructions in our Minty fresh(lol) users guide. It is at the top of the forums. Download and read, it will explain most basic things in Mint.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Codyh3 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Thanks, I am downloading it now. Hopefully that helps.
Codyh3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Alpha-Geek on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:45 pm

We have a just completed manual for LinuxMint. Lots of good info from the download to use can be found there. It can be downloaded from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/pub/Daryna_User_Guide.pdf
Otherwise, with Easy CD Creator, follow these steps:
1. Open the Easy CD Creator program.
2. From the File menu, select Record CD from CD Image.
3. You will be prompted to select the disc image to record. In the Files of type: drop-down box, choose ISO Image files (*.ISO).
4. Browse and select the ISO image you would like to burn. Click on the Open button.
5. The Record CD Setup window will display the options for CD creation. Under the Record Method section of options, choose Track-at-once and Finalize CD.
6. Click OK. Your CD will be created.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions