Am I using 4.0?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Am I using 4.0?

Postby MartinRF on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:16 pm

I installed 3.0 this summer and I keep it up to date.
Does this mean I am running 4.0 by now?
If not, what are the differences between my system and 4.0?

/Martin
MartinRF
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Am I using 4.0?

Postby civint on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:30 pm

In brief, the answer to your question is no, as far as I can tell.
Differences are in the mint update app (which you may or may not have) as well as some other more subtle differences which are in the code of the whole operating system (since it is based on updated ubuntu, which has changed bits of it in the last few months) throughout (someone correct me if I'm wrong here please!).

Differences are herehttp://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna.php

but there will be changes in the codebase that aren't written about in the release notes (that I can see, anyway)
Hope this helps. I am unable to go into the details of what has actually changed under the hood, as it were, since I'm no programmer, but there are updates and changes in the software repos as well, basically a start of some differentiation between mint and ubuntu :lol:, but, if you have working 3.0, why change (well, you may as well keep it until it's support runs out ;-) )
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Am I using 4.0?

Postby andyvr4 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:36 pm

In short no you are not. Basically all that running the updates get's you is the latest versions of the software designed to work with either Mint 3.0 are ubuntu 7.04. In order to upgrade to Mint 4.0 you must either do a fresh install from a 4.0 "daryna" install disk are follow the upgrade instructions listed in the daryna release notes which can be found here.

I would suggest just doing a clean install if I was you though because with the upgrade you do not get all of the new features and artwork as well as running a much higher risk of having problems from complications of the upgrade.
andyvr4
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions