Backup frustrations

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Backup frustrations

Postby T J Tulley on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:29 pm

Generally I back up by copying main folders. Now in preparation for installing Daryna, I want to copy a partition. In Windows DriveImage does this, and I thought I saw a similar program listed here, but can't find it at present.

Gnome Partition Editor should do the job, but if I select the partition to be copied, click on Copy, then go to the destination (bigger) partition, (on a different drive, of course) Paste is not available or greyed out. How do I get round this please?

Behind this problem lurks the question of Permissions.

The destination partition's properties show its owner as root, so I entered (after password) the command:
theo@TJT4Celena:~/Desktop$ sudo chown theo -R /media/disk
which was apparently accepted - no rejection message, and prompt reappeared - but the owner is unchanged.

BTW, the destination drive is in a USB-connected external adapter case. Is that a complication?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Backup frustrations

Postby dpar on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:02 pm

Was this the application that you were thinking of??

http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page
dpar
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions