Network card confusion

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Network card confusion

Postby Karnage on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:54 pm

I am trying to install a network card in an old Packard Bell machine running Daryna KDE Beta 011. I am beginning to regret attempting this as it needs so much more time than I thought....

I am already past 1.5 hours in an attempt to deal with a network card driver. I barely understand the installation instructions, and when the terminal program refuses to create the required temporary folder, I am stuffed at the first hurdle of the readme file. I get the feeling that if I reinstalled the system it would have picked it up by now and had me running, and it may come to that!

The card is a Dynamode NC-100TX-DL. When I first installed the card (physically), it showed the device there in the system settings, and asked me if I wanted to start it up. I clicked on it and it and it started for 0.5 seconds then went back to not running (no message). After a reboot it disappeared! The lights are on, but no-one home.

I am going to try booting from the DVD and see the result for now, but I feel my life's time pressures may get the better of me here!

Any help to show me the obvious things I have undoubtedly missed would be much appreciated.

Karn.
Karnage
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Network card confusion

Postby Karnage on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:07 pm

Ahh.... it doesn't see it when booted from the DVD at all either. I have a hardware problem me thinks... I'll try re-seating it AGAIN! dang...

Karn.
Karnage
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions